HybridZ

What's The Best Exhaust System?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

That orange Z with the curly headers and chrome pipes sound ferocious!

I will say this,it's going to be a pain getting in and out of my Z without getting burned.Guess I'll have to dig out the leather again lol.I plan on having a S&W 8 Point Cage installed for future performance mods to the 350.By the time you have to climb over the cage bar by the seat,I'll at least get burned the first few tries fmad.gif .But hell,the looks of the car makes up for the burns.That 8 Point should tie the frame together really nice shouldn't it?I don't want to tear up my Z with a 'souped-up' 350.I bet that those pipes will be loud with no mufflers wouldn't they?I want mine to be exactly like what's on the 240Z in the above link,just make out of Stainless Steel.I really do think that it sets one off though.But hey,everyone has different opinions and this is what I want to do,so I'm going for it.Wish Me Luck!

Thanks For All Of Your Help! I'm Greatful hail.gif !

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

You will want the 52 inch side pipes. I have them for the "Fat Boy". Rory Bateman designed the car to have a cutout in the fender for the side pipes to ride along the rocker panel and not under it. He also designed the front fender flares to extend down further to shield the pipes from road debris

Guest Anonymous

I see what you're saying about the Flowmasters.I am actually thinking about seeing how much ground clearance I would have left if I used a set of 3" sidepipes.I know it's not the best idea,but hey,it would be cool with a set.I think that JC Whitney sells them for $169.99 a pair.I'm not that serious about doing it though.Just a little innocent measuring.It would look bad with a jet black 280Z with the Weld Rims eek2.gif .But anyway,I'll check into the Dynomax mufflers.Do they give off that 'Bumble Bee' tone,like what you hear on the sport compacts?It doesn't look like it going by the description in the Jeg's Catalog.But oh well,Thanks For Everyone's Help!

Izzy cheers.gif

pete, you completely deserve those complements. i have to agree and admit that you and your car were a major factor in me choosing to go the hybrid route. :D:D

izzy, no worries on using the weld wheels. the rodlites and draglites both look good on the cars, imo. i still think the pro stars would look good for someone wanting to do the 5 lug conversion. both mike kz and a local guy named tory with a 400 sbc 240Z also have the same wheels as i have. and my engine builder friend paul is actually considering a set of the same rodlites (same wheel size, offset, and tire size)for his 240 to replace his current draglites. you cant really go wrong with a set of wheels and tires that will basically bolt on and look good for right at $1000.

Guest Anonymous

Pete,no problem on the compliments.You completely deserve every word of them and more.To see such a clean and sanitary V8 Conversion as your's is a blessing 2thumbs.gif .

I haven't heard anything from that steel company yet.They have 1 set on their site that I like,just without the grills.I can do without the grills if they're too much cuss.gif .

Thanks Tomahawk for the post on the lenght that the pipes need to be.I was thinking around 52" myself.The only thing that I'm worried about when using sidepipes is that they'll get a bit too hott and make my paint chip or scorch.But,I think that I can find a way around that.

I just hope that these things aren't going to be as loud as what I think they'll be when I get them on.I plan on running a pipe from my headers in whatever directions it will have to be bent to get it to the sidepipes correctly with no mufflers or emissions.I know that it will be loud them.No long stops in traffic or at the redlights puke.gif !

I plan on putting up a site from start to finish of my Z car just to kindly give people an idea of what I did.I've got about 20 pics that I took of the car when I first got it and I guess that when I get the stock motor and trans out,I'll be halfway finished.Pulling out the engine,getting my floorboards installed,and the cage installed are my next big things.My uncle is presently taking an AutoBody class and he said that they could do any body work to it that I need as long as I paid for supplies.That should work out good.I've got to get the engine bay painted,the car undercoated,new brakes,white-out dash,get the 350 engine and trans installed,carpet installed,deck wood installed,and a good paint job,then the sidepipes.I plan on having it done by August of this year.I've got a long way to go though before then!

P.S.Only thing that the Body Shop where he's taking his class is doing is undercoating the Z,painting the engine bay,and painting the car.

Thanks Everyone And May God Bless You!

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey Man...Those are some nice looking pipes!I think that I may go without the guards on the pipes seeing that they look better than the ones with the guards.Will I have to worry about any kind of problems as far as the heat from the pipes scorching my paint?I don't want that to happen!

Thanks!

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Man.Do you have anymore pics of that car with better views of the pipes?Do you have them mounted to your car somehow or are they just held up by the pipe exhaust pipe coming from the header?Where'd you get them?Are they Stainless Steel?

Sorry that I have so many questions.I'm just so attached to this sidepipe idea.Thanks for the tip on it.Never would've thought of that if you wouldn've said anything. 2thumbs.gif

Thanks!

Izzy Middleton

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for those pics Dan.Those are some nice pipes on that Z.I don't think that I'm going to use mufflers on mine though.Just a true sidepipe,like the blue one on that link that you gave,just without those mufflers.You know where I can pick up a set like that in Stainless Steel?

Thanks!

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Shorty.You have a nice one coming along there.I like those pipes,I just don't want to have to cut out some of my front fender out to get them to come out even.I guess that mine will be unlevel or something,but that way I can always change it if I don't like it.But that is a nice Z of yours.Where did you get those pipes?

Thanks!

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hello Again.Stainless Specialties finally E-Mailed me back last night and they wanted a drawing of the sidepipe design that I had in mind,so I put my pencil to work and came up with a drawing that I plan on copying to the computer.If anyone wants it to see if what I have drawn will work,let me know.I'll E-Mail it to you.They're 47" long and 3" in diameter.I reckon that I'm going to get them to weld the mounting tabs to them also.Maybe this won't be expensive seeing that there's no muffler.I hope not anyway!

Izzy cheers.gif