HybridZ

zx 280 can it be V8

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi guys i just want to say that i really like reading the things over here i really learnd a lot.. to start i have a zx 280 N/A i was thinking about doing the V8 swap. does the JTR mounts work for the ZX 280 and i am also looking to get a better trany like the T56 so what do you guys think i should do. will it ever work or do i have to make my own mounts

Welcome! Yes, the 280ZX can be modified for the V8 swap. Our resident V8ZX experts that come to mind are David Greimann and Ross Corrigan--both guys were mentioned (with story no less!) in the current issue of Sport Z magazine (Greimann for his car and Ross for his wheel adapters).

Motorsport Auto does sell a kit for the ZX, although the guys here may tell you not to bother with it. Still, make good use of the search function on the forum to dig up information you need---this topic has been discussed in detail before and there is tasty info for the taking.

The JTR kit does not apply in the ZX, although the manual is helpful for any conversion IMO. I'm sure some ZX guys will pipe in here and give some more info.

Davy

HECK YEAH V8's can go in 280ZX's!!! I am doing one for my 1980 ZX. I am using a 93' LT1 & T56. I have more information on my NEW!!! webpage(see link below). I bought the mounts from MSA but if you have any fabrication skills you could make them from the pics that I have on my site. I will have some better ones up soon. I just removed my engine/tranny from the engine bay so that I can begin to prep the bay for paint.

I agree thought that the JTR manual is very informative though! You should still get it even though it doesn't cover the ZX exactly.

Another thing to do is use the search function. It has answered many of my question and even made me think of a few to ask!

Guy

ZX's rockon.gifrockon.gif

Guest greimann

There are a few pictures on my web site, linked below. As Davyz says, the JTR setback does not work with the ZX but many other tips and tricks do. Don't buy any kit parts if you are halfway handy with garage tools.

Guest Anonymous

thanks a lot guys for your help. to tell you the truth i have no skills in these things thats why i want to get the mount kit, i dont think i will be doing all the work in the states i go to school now and i dont have time, so when i am done i will take the car with me back home and stop by to my cousin garage ;) so guys how does it feels to drive a ZX v8 doest drive smooth like any other car and what kind of trany should i use i want a manual so what do you think T5 or T56

I havent driven mine yet but I would say go with the T56. 6 gears has to be better than 5 right??? You should use a 94-97 though because the 6th gear in those is .5:1 instead of the 93's .63:1 ratio. I have also heard that the 94-97 T56's are stronger but that might just be a rummor??? I am pretty sure that the T56 are stronger than the T5's though.

Guy

Guest greimann

The T56 transmission is stronger than the T5, but I have had good success with my T5 after 50k+ miles behind a ~400 ft-lb motor. If you plan on building a serious motor and racing it often, then a T56 would be a logical choice, but more expensive. If you want a fairly hot street car, with emphasis on daily driving and are not hooking up drag radials, a T5 is an economical choice.

The question about 5 or 6 gears is really not the issue. A V8 has so much torque, you don't need them all. A '93 T56 with .62 overdrive is actually more desireable because you realistically don't want to shift into a .5 OD until you are doing 80 MPH. These transmission have such a high gear because of one thing: Fuel economy for a stock engine that is making good torque at 1500 rpm. A motor with a hotter cam is not efficient until after 2000 rpm, and you do not want to cruise below that rpm for best fuel efficiency.

Guest Anonymous

you see guys the thing is i want a t56 cause it has a 6 speed its good for high ways but if its gona be a pain to install i would get a T5. the other thing is what year for an engine is better. i want to get a camaro 93+ engine because its really cheap back home and i know we have a lot in the junk yards so do you think i should get one or just look for an older engine

Guest Anonymous

ok guys i did a research on this site but i dont still get it. whats better to use a 350 engine or 305. please let me know why is there a differnce in the weight of the engine and is there a big diffrence in the preformance

Guest greimann

Do some more research on LT1's but I believe the '94 and up are more desireable. They definately have a nice low profile intake. That would be my choice if I was going to start over. If you go that route, get a complete donor car with engine and transmission so you have all the pieces you need sitting right there. Once you have scavenged what you want, sell off the rest.

If you go with an older version of the small block, stick with the 350. The 305 weighs the same as a 350 and is not as easily modified for power due to its smaller cylinders.

Guest Anonymous

ok guys check this out, my brother found couple of engines. LT5 from a ZR1 1994. and a camaro SS 97 do you guys know if its an LT1 or LS1 from the 97 SS. and the last one was an LT1 from a vette 96. i dont know if they have the same bolts or not and what do you guys think i should pick i just want an engine that is easy to fit cause i am not sure if anyone know how back home

I'd pick the 97 LT1, I'm not (ducking) a big fan of the ZR1 powerplant. LT1 has great parts availability (even full spare motor cost is quite reasonable if for any reason you needed a spare) and the T56 it's mated with is a well known entity as well. I have many other reasons I like the Lt1 motor as well/bang/buck/ease to modify/mannerisms in stock or near stock form which will put out 300-350 easy depending on your setup. And mods easily bump that nicely.

I'd pick it (or an LS1) in a heartbeat if I was starting over....back in the early and mid 90

s we didn't have such affordable and slick OEM based options did we Dave :eek:

Guest Anonymous

i dont plan on doing the swap right away but i am gathering as much info as i can. if i put a stock LT1 how much horse power can i get from the rear wheels. has any one ever did an LS1 into a zx 280 what are te problem of doing so. i just want to make this go smooth and all thats why i am asking a lot, thanks again for all this great info. after all its gona be a big risk to do the swap but i hope i will get it all right. i dont want to build a racer just a daily driven car with a few extra horse to remind people that Z rules the streets

Guest Anonymous

First of all, hello, I'm new to the site, and am in the same boat as Alslayer. I own a zx and want to go to a v8.

One thing I wanted to add to this discussion is that for LT1 engines, it's better to go with 95 or later engines because distributor is different and has less electrical problems. My cousin had to swap out a bunch of stuff from his 93 lt1 to convert to the newer distributor. It runs better now. So start off with the right one and save a headache. Also, the biggest difference between lt1 and ls1 is weight, as the ls1 uses a lot more aluminum in it's construction. Of course, you can also switch the intake of an ls1 to make an ls6, which is a beautiful engine. However, for the cost, stick with an Lt1. It's plenty powerful to dominate almost anything out there when in a Z.

I can tell you that if you go LS1 that the mounts are different from the old SBC's. The LT1 on the other hand is the same. The LT1 and T56 fit in my ZX like a dream! I didn't ever have to widen out the tunnel, all I had to do is take out the old mounts and make a tranny mount for the T56(pics are on my site). Like all other ZX's though I will have to come up with a exhaust manifold for the drivers side to clear my steering gear box.

Like the other guys said the LT1 is the most bang for the buck! And I would also suggest going with a 95-97 for the Optispark reason stated above. I am changing mine to the updated one while I rebuild the engine.

Guy 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info. i guess i will stick with 97 LT1, the other thing that came to my mind what kind of exhaust would you use do you have to build one or can you use the old one. i think if i can get a dual exhaust it would look better. what did you guys use for you cars