HybridZ

Any idea what this might be worth?

2many280s

Well, I looked it up on ebay... and looks like I might be making some money pretty soon selling it for him :D . Average ebay price is around 11$ a square foot (less for larger peices) and thats 615x5 ft. He didn't know it was worth that much or else he would have already been hitting me up to sell it for him :D And I may be getting a LOT more of it soon.

What happened today was I was at a cookout at my uncles house and talking to one of my cousins who just got a job with some defense contracts... wich I already had one cousin that works at another place that does the same thing (wich is where that roll came from) And it seems that those rolls, if they don't weigh an almost exact amount, are thrown away(Our tax dollars at work).

And my cousin with the new job asked my brother if he would be interested in a couple of pallets of those rolls that they were about to discard (brother does fiberglass work, repairing boats and cars and such) and he said he already had a big roll of it that he hadn't used that my other cousin gave him. Well, actually at one time he had 2 rolls, but one was smaller and he used up making deer stands for my cousin and all his buddies (some nice deer stands I bet :D ) And of course, I over heard that and asked why he hasn't said something about it since he's been complaining lately about slow business and being out of money, and well, thats money just gathering dust in his shop hehe. So, needless to say, we might be in the carbon fiber business pretty soon, will be really nice if we can get the 2 pallets the other place is getting rid of.

I'm thinking about ebaying it by the running foot, 1'x5' per quantity ordered, so large sheets say 10x5 could be bought.

If I had known he had this stuff back when we were both making good money... my Z would probably be CF by now hehe :D He's had that roll for almost a year now and never even opened it. We unwrapped the top to take a couple pics of it :shock:

As for the tires.. those are for a 65 chevy he's doing a frame off resto on for a guy, they aren't even his :-D

If we can get those extra 2 pallets, there will definately be a discount for hybridz members, this roll however, I might have to just blow out on ebay in order to get us both some quick cash. We are both hurtin for money lately since his business is slow and mine stopped almost completely when my boss was wiped out for over a half million by the Florida hurricane =)

By what I've figured so far, best sellers on ebay are selling at 21.99 per 10"x50". I will probably be doing 12"x60" since thats how wide the roll is. We haven't fully decided on what to price it at yet though, thinking around $30-$35 per 12" by 60" (wich aircraft spruce is definately cheaper on, they sell the thicker stuff at $34 a yardx50" but not sure how thick this stuff is exactly, but its definately thicker than the stuff spruce sells for $17 a yard.) Its about as thick as your average fiberglass mat and that roll weighs about 200 or more lbs (Was HELL moving it). The pictures really don't do it much justice hehe the stuff is beautiful in person.

I will know Monday if we are going to get the other rolls too, and then of course we can afford to sell it for whatever we want and have some left over to play with even =) But I just got off the phone with my brother and brought up the subject of discounting to friends and he said it would be cool after we get some moving and get some money coming in off it.

What do you guys think about the $30-$35 per 12"x60" for ebay? Of course, cheaper for you guys, but for everyone else, sound high? low? I've never really researched the stuff much, as a matter of fact, thats the first time I've even seen that much of it in one place =) So I have no clue what the going price for it is. Thanks for the aircraft spruce reference though, that did help to get an idea of what it sells for outside of ebay.

Just got through searching for carbon fiber cloth or fabric and it sells for quite a bit less except for one guy claiming aerospace grade... wich I know where this stuff came from... and I know what they make there and for who, so I could probably get away with his price or close to it.

I remember there being a part number on a tag on the bag, need to get that and do a bit more research, or get in touch with my other cousin to see if he knows whether its 3k-6k or what and what weight, thickness, and such. Didn't realise there were that many different kinds of carbon fiber. There are TONS of different kinds, and I'm sure someone will ask if I don't know =)

All I know so far, is it looks to be a "Plain Weave" (fatter weave than most I've found pictures of though) fairly thick, very soft and silky feeling, and knowing where it came from, probably very high quality. But a lot of the auctions get very specific, so I will probably need to too :?

This is taking more work than most of the computer parts I used to sell :wink:

:roll: Hey great score on the cf but be careful selling it as aircraft grade even if it came from a place that builds aircraft. I work in the industry and FAA gets real anal about the tracability of that stuff, just put some kind of disclaimer in your add on ebay. I'd also be careful when working or cutting that stuff, its not the best for you lungs or other body parts for that matter.. We are mandated to have down draft tables and other vent equipment to keep the fibers from getting into your skin.. I guess its not so bad in the roll form but once you put the resin to it it is nasty stuff.. :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...