HybridZ

Turbo to N/A Electronics?!

Guest Cronic

Guest Cronic

Once again Im told by some more people, that switching to an N/A ECU and Dizzy is a great gain over stock. He said he picked up nearly 50whp because the Turbo ECU kept pulling timing on him when it thought he was knocking..

Im curious if anyone here has switched over to N/A electronics? How does one go about doing this?

I myself wouldnt do it but here is what I think it would take, off the top of my head kinda reversing what I pulled OUT of my car to run turbo efi.

The harness, it comes out in one piece with the connectors and a couple grounds. You would need the efi relays which are right over the ecu.

You would need to run distributor drive spindle of the NA setup to use the distributor.

Thermostat housing of the NA engine, so you can run the thermotime switch

Theres a bunch of stuff I know im missing, you would also need to use a wiring schematic to know which wires to run to 12v and ign and so forth.

Ive pulled out quite a few 280z/x NA harnesses, and they look pretty simple, easier than turbo harness and turbo harness is EZ.

When I first installed my L28ET with Z31 ECCS, I used the NA ECU for my first few test runs at low boost. It did seem very powerful at the time for the low boost (4 psi), but not a good idea for a permanent solution. The NA ECU knows nothing of boost, so it's going to meter fuel for an NA engine. If you don't want the knock sensor to pull timing, then disconnect the knock sensor.

Guest bastaad525
Once again Im told by some more people' date=' that switching to an N/A ECU and Dizzy is a great gain over stock. He said he picked up nearly 50whp because the Turbo ECU kept pulling timing on him when it thought he was knocking..

Im curious if anyone here has switched over to N/A electronics? How does one go about doing this?[/quote']

Um... if he's losing power from the ECU pulling timing like that the simple solution is just to do like most of us have done and disconnect the knock sensor, problem solved. You sure he's not talking about switching over to a 300ZX N/A ECU? Might be some gains there but the N/A is definately going to run too much advance, you'll want to use an MSD BTM or similiar. Or, if you did switch to 280Z/ZX ECU with mechanical distributor, you could always recurve the distributor yourself to get less max advance, but I'm not sure you could do enough to get the optimum curve for the turbo motor, which starts out wanting really high initial advance (20-24*) but ends up with a lower WOT advance, I think like 18*?

Personally I wouldn't even consider switching to an N/A ECU... it can be done, sure, but not everything that CAN be done SHOULD be done.

Guest Cronic

You guys confirmed my thoughts... I didn't see the point in this at all. This guy swares by it though. It made no sence to me why he did this to his car. I wanted to get other's perspectives on this situation. I like the idea of the ecu saving my ass when Im running 20psi on stock turbo and 1200cc's of fuel. JUST in case I dont catch it first.