HybridZ

normal rust area?

5foot2

I've got a 77 280z that has been in So Cal since new. We shipped it to Maine in 2001. the car is very solid, no rust in the floors, under the batt. tray, etc. There is a spot under the drivers rear quarter window that is rusted and pitted, and at the rear hatch area on the body (not the hatch).

It's the hatch area that has me a bit stumped, it at the bottom of the seams where the body and hatch meet, above the tail light panel. The hatch framing is solid but both sides at the points are rusted through and fixing them will require cutting and welding. I was wondering if this is a normal spot for the Z to rust, or if this is just some oddity of my car. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Also, does anyone have a clapped out Z they're parting that they would be willing to cut some sheet metal off of? It'd be much easier to repair that way than fabbing new sheet with the tools I have at hand.

• 4 weeks later...