HybridZ

will a 73 fuel tank work in my 75 with chevyV8 and holley?

Guest hwk60

I have a clean and tested fuel tank from a 73z....i want to take out and junk my 75z gas tank...lots of rust and holes. Will the 73 tank work for me? I know it was originally set up to use fuel injection and had extra baffels, whereas the 73 has no baffles. But since i have a carb on my 350, it should work shouldnt it? Thanks.

This car will be my "sleeper" it will look almost exactly like my stock 72 240z. I dont care about return lines or gas mileage. My prime concern with this car is speed....speed primarily from a rolling start, or from a running start as in interstate speeds of say 70 mph...and then i want an ability to punch it and deliver large volumes of fuel and air...for HP and quick accels.

My understanding is that the change in tank shape was made in 77 because Datsun switched to use the mini-spare so the spare tire well was reduced in size and moved up in the rear hatch area. This made it possible to increase the size of the tank. I've read that the earlier tanks 70-76 will work in the later cars 77-78 but not vice-versa. In other words the 73 tank should fit in your 75 280.

Do a search on fuel tanks and you'll get alot of information that agrees with my statement but nothing that directly answers your question.

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

Wheelman

i've read that the swap from 8/74-8/76 tank into a pre-8/74 carb'd car works fine and most have used that swap when moving to a fi setup. i also have the datsun parts cd and the 2 tanks look almost identical in shape. the change occured with the 9/76+ tanks that [as stated earlier] used a space saver spare, higher rear deck area and larger tank.