HybridZ

problem z3 seats in a 240z

icesky

I bought z3 seats for my 240z thinking that it would fit since the measurements are almost identical give or take a inch. Now here is my problem when sitting on 240z seats they compress from 7inches to about 3.1 inches and when sitting on z3 seats they compress from 7.5inches to about 6.5. The problem is I hit my head on the roof. I was wondering if it is possible to cut off the seat mounts (front and back) without jeopardizing the stiffness of the chase. Also if it does jeopardize the stiffness, is there any way of getting these seats in the car. Tell me if these pictures help, if not ill take better pictures in a flash.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/12856/normal_IM0005410.jpg

I honestly don't know how the Z3 seats are made as far as bracings and mounts. but personally I would take the bottom of the seat apart and cut an in. or so out of the bottom of the springs then re-attatch everything, thus creating a lower sit... altho now that I think about it that would affect the alighnment of your back and the shape of the seat back.

if you took some pictures of the bottom of the Z3 seat I might be able to evaluate a better solution.

or perhaps...(note this is just a thought) visually the rear mounts add no structural support (I could be wrong) however the front is definatly a supporting beam... IF you cut holes (wide enough for your mount tracks), installed the seats, then welded cross bars over the holes (over top of the mount tracks) it would probably hold structural integrity. but I recommend serious consideration before you cut into the car.

PS. do you have any plans for those seats, I know some one who would be interested in purchasing them if you want to part with them...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, with all that stuff underneath it... you ain't modifying the seat bottom.

I chopped up an FD seat once to fit my old 180sx. The bottom was just two rails and a fiberglass bucket. Those Z3 seats are a different story.

You're gonna have to cut into the floor. You need to reinforce the front bar area if you're cutting it.

The seat rails that are spot welded to the floor do add to the overall structural integrity of the car. How much is arguable. I personally think it's close to negligible. We removed the floor rails from a 280 for a seat swap and welded in new ones that better suited the new seats. I think you could do the same without any loss of structural integrity. Depending on your design you may even make things better.

I cut the factory seat brackets down in my 75 280 to fit CRX Si seats in it. Basically, hacked 1.5 inches of hight out front and back, and rewelded the pieces back it. Then built 'adaptors' out of flat bar, and bolted the seats to the bar, and bar to the Z brackets. Works great for me.. but it was easy in my car as the floor was recently re-done and the seat brakets were put back in kind of.. well, badly.. (hack job extrodinaire!!) by the previous owner.. I to would say the seat brakets don't add much 'structure' or suport to the car, and wouldn't worry about cutting into them.

:oops: forgot to mention someting.. if you don't know already, the drivers seat mounts (IIRC) are closer together. (side to side I mean) Because of the trans tunel and exhast 'bump', there is a little less width to work with on the drivers side. Before you go cutting stuf, Id measure evrything really carefully, and make sure the 'new' seats are gona fit on the brakets after cutting.

uhhh.. yyyyeah... I would say remove those pieces as a whole (grinder with a cut-off wheel, sawsall, ect).. as straight and level as you can, then cut them down to the hight you need and reweld to the floor. It took me a day to do both of mine, just because it's tedious to get them out, cut down, and then back in all level/even.