HybridZ

after 10min, engine shut off

Guest xbangu

I have a 240Z with a 280ZX turbo engine in it. I just got it complete and lettingit run...

When first start up the engine is running fine, with some dead fuel coming out of the exhaust. After about 10-15 min or so the engine shut itself off, and before it shut it self off... the engine is reving up and down between 1.3rmp -1.5rmp for a good 1 min at least. Then engine die out, and wwen I try to start it back up again the batt seem like it drain out. I charged back up and the same thing happen? could this be the batt or my alternator and how do I test these to thing to see if they are good??

thanks,

Unless you have an ampmeter you wont know if its charging. You can see if the alternator is putting out any voltage by using a voltmeter at the battery with the car running. This wont tell you though if the alternator is actually putting out any current though. Oh and dont try putting a hand held voltmeter(with a ampmeter function) in line with the battery and the alternator, you will smoke the meter for sure! Most meters can only handle about 20amps. Most cars put out atleast 100amps.

If you dont have a meter you can go to Sears and get a meter like this one....

03482014000-190.jpg

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=03482014000

This meter will measure amps all the way up to 600amps and as low as .1amps. This is a very nice tool for finding draws on batteries too.

Guy