HybridZ

slave cylinder release spring

Guest BrandenZ

Guest BrandenZ

Long post in order to fully explain problem, just skip to the bottom if you want to see my direct question. :)

To preface, I have an 'interesting' clutch problem that requires me to fully release the clutch before I get _any_ engagement. I also get slipping in 4th gear (high load). The previous owner, however, swears that the clutch was recently replaced (2k miles) with a Centerforce II clutch. I've adjusted the pedal length to exact spec and no dice.

I did notice, however, that there was evidence of a leak at the clutch master cylinder. Paint was peeling away at the firewall. Though I considered it to be essentially pointless, I went ahead and picked up a new clutch master and slave cylinder. I removed both last night and both of them were leaking. I have yet to install the new clutch master (small surface rust on the firewall, so I sanded it and POR-15'd it immediately) so I'm not sure if my 'efforts' have made any difference at all...

However, I did notice that the slave cylinder that was installed did not have a return/release spring. Is this normal? Could it be that I'm getting crappy 'engagement' because when I release the clutch the slave cylinder reacts very very slow to 'release' causing the clutch not to mate with the flywheel until my pedal is all the way out?

I can't really see a place on the slave cylinder for a release spring to attach:

clutch_slaves.jpg

:?

The early (up until 1973) Z car clutch slave cylinders were manually adjusted via a threaded pushrod. The throw out bearing fork lever had a hole in it for the push rod to fit through and a return spring was connected from the clutch slave cylinder to the throw out bearing fork lever.

The later clutch slave cylinders were self adjusting and Nissan did away with the threaded pushrod and the return spring.

The cylinders pictured are the self adjusting type.