HybridZ

83 digital speedo is reading low numbers!

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I don't know whether this is a mechanical or electrical problem, but this morning, I found that my speedo was underestimating my speed-substantially, to indicate 20mph as about 6mph, 30mph about 7, 40 about 8mph, and so on. I am wondering if this unit has a replaceable cable, and should that be considered the first line of replacement? Is there anywhere that it gets its measurement from that could be in need of lubrication, repositioning, etc? Or, does this sound like I'll need a new speedo, and if so, is that replacing the whole "digital instrument cluster" or just the speedo/tach/temp sub-unit?

Bonus: Does anyone know where I can get a digital speedo from UK or Japan OEM stock so as to have readouts above 85mph?

Thanks

John

The speedo cable is a 2 piece - from tranny to inside firewall, from there to speedo.

Ypu probably have a bad connection.

The only help for reading over 85 would be the right angle adapter JTR sells for the T5 that has a .66:1 reduction ratio. Set the dash to read kph and you'll be close - you could tweak tire diameters a little....

I just put in analog guages (speedo went balls up- odo kept working) set in mine and got rid of the auto climate stuff too (while the dash was out...)

• 1 month later...

What all is involved in switching to analog and manual heater? I have the digital dash and have access to an 81 Turbo for parts, and have considered the change, even though everything works (climate control so-so). If I don't can the bar tach be used with a V8?