HybridZ

What the heck is a "KA" engine?

Guest 240Zdragon72

Guest 240Zdragon72

I was talking to a guy I know at work and he was talking about a Gray 240Z with a turbo charged "KA" engine? I have never heard of an engine starting like this. Is there really a "KA" engine?

Confused:

Brian :?

Guest bastaad525

KA engine - the stock engine found in a US spec 240SX, and also in some nissan trucks. While most people would rather just drop the SR20DET into a 240sx, a few guys do opt to just turbo charge the stock engine, which I hear results in a far torquier motor. I've never heard of a KA turbo in a Z though.

KA Nissan engine was also available in the first two generations of the Altima and the last generation Stanza as well.

The first generation KA was a 135hp single cam 12V motor

The second generation KA was a 155hp twin cam 16V motor

All were 2.4L displacement. All were reliable and mighty strong.

The 240SX had the most powerful versions, the Altimas and the trucks had slightly de-tuned versions.

Turbocharged KAs are simply incredible!!!!

Yasin

Guest 240Zdragon72

It is a real engine. I thought he was blowing smoke, although, I have never seen a gray 240Z in my neighborhood. Anyway, thanks for the replys.

Happy Motoring.

• 1 month later...

I wish that that were the case. . . The CA is a much more tuner friendly motor that the KA. This is NOT to say that the KA is a bad motor. On the contrary, the KA has a very long stroke and delivers far more toeque at lower RPM than does the CA or the SR. The problem is that the motor, unlike the CA & SR, was not intended to me modded.

The reason that many of these Japanese motors seem to have very high potential is that the motors are designed, to an extent, w/ tuners in mind. Look @ the RB26. That motor was NOT designed for 280hp. Neither is the crank for the SR. These motors can handle higher power levels and rpms w/ minor mods, whereas the KA has such a long stroke, the connecting rods are the 1st thing to go.

I really believe that if someone would produce a beefier (I know I might bet flamed for this one) a couple mm shorter stroke crank (to make it a 2.3 maybe) and increased the rod length, the KA might, MAY BE, be the best motor out of the 3 options for the 240SX. But noone's done it, so I don't know. (btw, I'd love to, but I'm saving up for a different project of my own :wink: )

It just goes to show you that you can't have everything: The KA has a crappy bottom-end, the SR has a crappy valvetrain, and the CA just doesn't have enough displacement (torque). :cry:

The SR valvetrain can be fixed with solid lash kit (lash killer)

Theres some KA tuners who were talking about shortening the stroke... but nobody wants to give up the displacement. The way I see it, if a 2.0 liter is making gobs of power... that .4 doesn't mean too much in the mix. A 2.3 that can rev higher would be NICE.

yea, I hear the Pulser GTi-r (I think) had the solid lash head. Several other companies have them, too, but I personally like the direct acting cams. . . That's just me though.

There are also rocker arm stoppers on the market that bandage the problem. It's more insurance than anything, though. It lowers the chance of a blown motor, but doesn't completely eliminate the chance.

I know the SR16 could rev to the moon. . . did it have solid lifters, too? Our shop doesn't really deal w/ the FWD nissans, so I've never really thought about it. . . it's the VE right?

Another personal preference is the iron block on the KA and CA. . . That's why I'd LOVE to see a KA23 or even a 22DET. Like I mentioned earlier, I think the direct acting cams, iron block, and the additional displacement would be a VERY formitable competitor to any 4 cylinder you could throw at it. However, I'm planning on doing an SR swap into the S30, b/c of the abundant aftermarket support. Besides, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than designing a crank form scratch.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest unknownroadster

On this topic of "KA" motors, Ive decided to put one in my roadster since we have one lying around at my shop. I'll probably put enough money into the thing to get it to handle the power I want. A nice T-3 Hybrid should do wonders for me!