HybridZ

Help Identify this Part ('77 280z) Car Overheats.

Guest PBooty

When I got to the parking lot I saw a trail of coolant and a puddle underneath my car :(.

I looked under the hood and saw this...

142-4237_IMGMedium.jpg

Its the hose right next to the first spark plug on the left (as if I really had to point it out).

Is there a specific name for this hose??

I went to one of the few auto parts stores left in existence here in Santa Barbara, and they did not have anything similar in stock. The guy there gave me a foot of bulk hose and said it should be fine. Since it was my only option I bought it for a lil over a buck.

After installing the hose my temp gauge went extremely high within a few minutes (maybe less). There's enough water, and I checked for additional leaks. There were none.

Is there anything else I should check? The car hasn't been driven for atleast a month and a half. I'm suprised I made it all the way from home to Santa Barbara (2hr. drive).

PLEASE HELP :cry:

That's a heater hose. You think you filled it, but you have to keep checking once the rad cools, I bet its down some. You could have an air pocket. Once you keep checking, and filling when needed it should go away.

Will do..

Can bulk hose be used as a replacement heater hose or does it need to be a specific hose that needs a specific pressure rating and whatnot??

Yah, my hoses were all junk like that. Any hose that's rated for 'heater' or 'coolant' should work. I just bought a roll of heater hose (5 feet I think..) for like $10 and redid all of the heater hose in the engine bay. When I refilled the system, I left the rad cap off, and started the car. You can see the fluid drop down in the rad and then come back a bit.. I just kept filling it till it 'pulsed' right near the top of the cap opening and closed it up. Never had an overheat yet. Hope this helps.