HybridZ

84-86T Z31 T5? Looking for some info...

Jersey

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has successfully mated a Z31 T5 to the L28 block? From what i've learned so far, the bells can be swapped from an 82-83 T5 onto the 84-86 T5 but the input shaft on the Z31 T5 is longer. True? If so, a few questions...

Can the 82-83 T5 input shaft swap into the Z31 T5?

Are the input shafts the same diameter and splined the same?

Can a spacer be used between the bell and the body of the tranny to essentisally shorten the input shaft on the Z31 T5?

Does anyone know the torque ratings of both or either tranny?

I would hope that the Z31 T5 is rated for higher torque since the 300ZXT weighed more and had more HP. Any info is appreciated. Sorry for so many Q's. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to bump this as I'm interested in this conversion. I've already got a 280ZXT bellhousing and input shaft, would like to know some figures on the Z31 T5.

Believe the output shaft is also different though, whether it's just a matter of swapping it for a 280ZXT output shaft or modding the prop-shaft I don't know, I'm not a big man in the transmission world :wink:

Cheers,

Rob

http://overboost.com/story.asp?id=216

here are the specs on the midnight racing 280zx

SPECS:

Car Specs

Mid Night Racing Team 1978 280ZX

Engine Type: Nissan L28E

Engine Mods: Capacity increased to 3,100cc with forged 89f pistons, ABR original rods, ABR original crankshaft, ABR original 268-degree camshafts with 12.9 mm lift, intake 46.5 mm, exhaust 38.0 mm, twin IHI RHC-6 VX55 compressors and 3P-13 turbines

Engine Management: Nissan genuine 16-bit ECU; GReddy PROFEC and REBIC III; HKS GCC

Drivetrain: Z31 300ZX Turbo 5-speed transmission 0.779 fifth gear ratio; ABR Original special LSD with 3.545 final gear ratio

Suspension: Specially modified Bilstein dampers with TRD springs

Brakes: R32 Nissan Skyline GTR calipers with TRD Supra Race rotors

Wheels: Panasport C5R 16x8 front, 16x9 rear

Tires: Bridgestone RE71 225/50R16 front, 245/45R16 rear

Exterior Mods: ABR Original body kit with front and rear fenders, front spoiler, side skirts, rear valance, rear hatch spoiler, hood

Interior Mods: Autometer tachometer; Blitz EGT; HKS water temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure and boost gauge; ABR Original rollcage; Recaro SPG driver seat, Recaro LS passenger seat; Sabelt four-point harnesses; Nismo D-shape steering wheel

Mobiletronics: N/A

i can also get you guys all the links that you need to be a member to veiw

alex