HybridZ

Taurus 2 speed fan wiring to a toggel switch... Do I have th

Guest Night_rider_383

Guest Night_rider_383

I want to wire up the high and low speeds of the fan to an on-off-on toggel switch. Here's a link to a drawing I made. http://community.webshots.com/photo/54661921/61333689OqZZwe

Where it says "View" you need to pick normal from the drop down box to see it right

Can yall look at it and tell me if that looks right or not? If I don't have it right can yall tell me what I need to do diff?

Guest greimann

The connections look right, except you will of course, need key switched positive voltage to the center tap on the 3 way switch.

Is this system going to be totally manual or are you going to put a thermostatic switch in there too? If so, the diagram will be different.

cool, that's basically what i was planning to do. i was planning on operating solely on the switch using a wiring scheme just as in your diagram. where did you get your switch? i went to radio shack last weekend and they looked at me like i was crazy when asking for something more than the standard on-off switch.

Guest greimann
Originally posted by 80LT1:

Can someone tell me if I got the right Taurus fan? It has 2 wires on it 1 brown and 1 black.

Guy

That is a one speed unit. Still a great fan! Better than the Blackmagic. The two speed ones have 3 wires, but are dimensionally the same size.

There are two different Taurus fans. A one speed and a two speed unit. The one speed unit has two wires, and the two speed unit has three wires. The single speed unit came with the 3.0L engine, and the two speed unit came with the 3.8L. That is what I could figure out after opening the hood on about 30 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sables at the JY. Every two speed unit was gone except for one, so I got lucky.

Danny

Guest greimann

Stick with the one speed for now. If you find that you are on the ragged edge of keeping the motor cool, then go find a two speed. I have a resource for brand new ones (not the Ford dealer) if you can't find, or don't want used.

The HP level that you are putting out is really not a consideration on these vehicles because the most demanding cooling situation is dead stop with no ram air aiding cooling. If you were building a tow vehicle, this would be a different story.

I am running my two speed unit on the low setting. Only switch to high during the hottest days in the summer, but don't NEED high speed to keep the motor out of the red on hot days. I am trying to control detonation on a 10.5:1 motor.

Hi DRK in Greensboro, NC . . . I'm in Jacksonville, NC with a SBC in my Z-car with a GTO body on it. Me and a pal just drove it back from CA where I bought it. This is my second time around with one. I owned my first since 1978 and sold it in 1999 - missed it bad! Is there anybody else in our neck of the woods? JB

What is up Jbeech? A guy with the screen name Jeromio lives in Durham I think. He is putting an LS1/T56 in a 240. One guy lives in Harrisburg, and another lives in Ellenboro I think. I have not contacted any of them. Here is Jeremio's website, it is really good:

http://240z.jeromio.com/

Danny

Guest Night_rider_383

Thanks guys for the info. Yeah I forgot to put a line for the power to the switch lol sorry about that.

Sorry about not replying sooner to this. I been kinda tired since the all day (7 hours) in a junkyard sat. with 19 deg weather.

The switch I bought at advanced auto parts. Its a 35 amp switch with center off, bottom on, top on.

I guess I got lucky on the fan. I went to a big cheap junkyard down in atlanta named pull-a-part. They had 47 ford taurus's in the yard plus alot of sables. I got two of the 2 speed fans from taurus's. 1st 2 cars I looked at had the 2 speed fans. (I used info from this site to make sure of 2 speed or not, s blades, plug with 3 heavy ga. wire) One of the car's even had the fan took out and laying over on the engine, that car had a missing rad, so I guess somebody needed the rad out of it. After tax I walked out with both the fans for a total of $24.38.

When I got home I tried both fans out on high and low, both fans worked great on both speeds, and man ol man those things move some air

Guest Night_rider_383

Forgot to add this to the above post.

Yeah i'm gonna run the fan totally manual. I had a prob once a few years ago with a thermostatic switch, and i'm the kinda person that if I have a prob with something I won't use it again.

Plus I like the manual on off better. That away I can run low when needed, high If temps start to climb up, or sitting in rush hour, and like if racing at the track I can hit high speed in the pits to coolo down faster in between runs, or the same thing at a cruz in, hang out, burger joint, etc.

• 6 months later...

Hey, this was a good post so I'll ask a few questions here...

On the single speed Taurus fan, does anyone know if it moves the same cfm as the low speed on the two speed taurus fan, and if It's current (amps) needs are the same?

I run a sbc tpi, and it is set up manually with a VERY loud fan at the moment. I want to utilize the thermal sensor and control relay through the TPI harness to control the fan, with a manual 3 pole switch in the car. (If I go with 2 speed) I have the Check Engine Light mounted in the cabin under the steering wheel at the moment, needs to be moved to a better position for visibility. Does this light come on if the engine is running hot?

Being that whoever built this car did not use the harness to control the fan.... how hard is it to track down the control wire for the fan?

Last... (lol, yeah right, there is never a last question = ) I want to have an accurate display of engine temp, preferably digital. I realize the variables of where the temp sensor is placed, accuracy of temp sensor, as well as accuracy of display. Can anyone recommend a digital display, as well as a replacement temp sensor, if I need one, to address my anal tendencies?

thanks again, everyone = )

tannji