HybridZ

first time at the track

GrayZee

I finally took my car to the track and here's what happened on three races

1st run: .570 reaction, 2.5 60ft, 16.27 @90.99mph

2nd run: 1.05 reaction, 2.5 60ft, 14.93 @93.68mph

3rd run: 1.07 reaction, 2.6 60ft, 15.14 @94.19mph

I feel I could have done better if I had better tires (bfg ta's that have more birthdays than I car to admit) I had a set of hoosier's offered to me, but until I get a new clutch I figured I'd better pass on that one, as I didn't want to be towing the car 60 miles home.

Here's a list of my mods as of today..

76 280z with a L28et bottom end with over 120000 miles

83zx 5spd with R200 3.54 rear axle

a rebuilt P90A head

stock turbo

240sx 60mm throttlebody

480cc injectors

re-tuned z31 ecu/maf (courtesy of BernardD)

Walbro 255lph in tank fuel pump

3" flow thru exhaust (3" including DP)

the exhaust system made my boost run at 8.5-9 psi with no further adjustments. The car has NO intercooler

Next year I hope to run with a new (stronger) clutch, drag slicks, bigger turbo, intercooler, bov and about 14psi. Probably also gonna try and lose the heavy 280 bumpers in favor of those plastic ones at motorsport. Of course we'll see if the money is there to actually do all of this...

Hey man, glad you finally got it out to the track! Those numbers aren't too bad at all for stock boost levels. My setup is very close, except I don't have a 3" exhaust, and I am running 9-10psi and an IC in a lighter 240z, best gtech time was 13.83@104mph.

Obviously traction is an issue, but with an intercooler and a bit more boost you're gonna be into the 13's!

Sounds like you had fun,

I'm envious because they recently closed the only 1/4mile track in Carlsbad, San Diego County (I'm aware of). A couple weeks ago, Sunday was the final race.

Now I think, I'll need to go up to Riverside, San Bernadino to test blast my mutant-Z.

El Cajon has an 1/8th mile but, Naaaaah.

Any one in So-Cal know where the nearest 1/4mile track is?

I'm in Oceanside. Thanks guys.

Yeah I think traction is the number one problem, funny you should mention running rich, about that you are most likely right. I think one problem is the injectors, but not for the reason you may be thinking. (the fact that the injectors cc's are so big) Bernard can lean them right out by tuning them down on the laptop. However that would be treating the symtom and not the cause. I think those injectors are messed up as I don't seem to be able to keep fuel pressure for long after I turn the engine off and sometimes it's hard to start shortly after turning it off. (it floods) They were running sweet a couple of weeks ago but they are getting worse. I think I'll have to take them out and have them cleaned up or replaced. All this will have to wait now because this weekend was the last track day of the season. Oh well there's always next year, I'd like to see high 12's. Don't know it it'll happen, but I'm gonna try!