HybridZ

why not?

Guest jer

okay i know about the weir set up for mating a t56 to a pre 85 smallblock chevy. but why not just use a standard flywheel made for my motor, the normal push type clutch, my stock t56 bellhousing, and a hydraulic throw out bearing with a tilton master? would this work? i want to use a lighter flywheel and a standard push style clutch because of the huge aftermarket and variety of set ups. has any one tried, this or has any ideas?

yeah but it moves the tranny back a couple of inches so i guess that would help move some weight over the rear tires, but i was hoping there was a way to do it with out having to buy a new bellhousing and a conversion kit. i dont want to go throwing money away, but im thinking about just trying it. i dont see why it wouldn't work?!?

Im sure what you are suggesting has been tried. I doubt you are the first person to think of this. If it can be done then I dont see why more people arent doing it.

So you want to use...

*the Pre 86' flywheel

*Post 86' Clutch & Pressure plate

*with hydraulic throw out bearing

Is that what you mean?

Guy

i was thinking the pre 86 flywheel with the pre 86 push clutch and hydraulic throw out bearing. as long as the pressure plate, clutch disc, and flywheel agree with each other, the clutch fingers just need something to push them as far as i know. thats where the hydraulic t/o bearing comes in because the fork on the t56 is the pull style. the weir set up appears to do just this except it comes with another bell housing and im just not sure why you would need it except if you wanted to use an older style starter, which i dont. other than that it looks just like the stock t56 bellhousing.

• 1 year later...
okay i know about the weir set up for mating a t56 to a pre 85 smallblock chevy. but why not just use a standard flywheel made for my motor, the normal push type clutch, my stock t56 bellhousing, and a hydraulic throw out bearing with a tilton master? would this work? i want to use a lighter flywheel and a standard push style clutch because of the huge aftermarket and variety of set ups. has any one tried, this or has any ideas?

Mating a T56 behind a pre-85 SBC is not a big deal. It is done to 3rd gen F cars quite frequently. You need a T56 from an LT1 powered F car and a Centerforce flywheel specifically for the two piece crank to make it happen. After that it's a custom crossmember for your Z and then the easiest path would be adapt the F-car hydraulics. Should be nothing more than getting an adapter plate that puts the master cylinder at the correct angle. There are one's made for early Chevelles that gives you an idea what is required. Here is the F car adapt link.

http://www.skulte.com/T56.html

You could go the Muncie bellhousing route but I don't know why you would want to do early Chevy linkage instead of hydraulics in a Z car application. The adapter plate is expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TREMEC-T56-CUSTOM-ADAPTOR-CHEVELLE-CAMARO_W0QQitemZ300021019710QQcmdZViewItem