HybridZ

Critique engine combo please....

Ok, so the wheels have begun to turn again and I've been thinking about building my engine and this is what I was thinking. Opinions are appreciated.

SBC 350, .030, steel crank, forged pistons and rods,

Aluminum Roller Rockers, 1.5 ratio,

Hydraulic Comp Cam 280H (Lift: .480''Duration: 280°)

Sportsman II heads (64cc),

Edelbrock Performer Air-Gap intake manifold

Edelbrock 1406 Carb (600 cfm)

HEI Distributor

Edelbrock Aluminum water pump

20% underdrive crank pulley

Block hugger headers

Milodon windage tray

Any suggestions??

Check these out:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7924566405&category=33624

98_1.JPG

These would be a lot more durable than aluminum, and the split ratio of 1.6/1.5 might be kinda cool. He has standard sets in his other auctions too. Hope this helps,

Mike

Guest 77vegasz

Marcus:

E-mail me your cam specs, duartion intake and exhaust, lift for intake and exhaust as well as degree, and your intake runner size in ccs on the heads. I will run the combo on Desk Top Dyno and let you know what it says. It give as good approximation. I also need to know if you are running flat top, dished or domed pistons. If they are dished or domed, I need the ccs.

Jon

C A T is China made junk. Lots of quality controll problems. Stay away from them or any other C A T item.

Woops! I've got a set of these I'll be using on my engine, along with a CAT water pump. I checked all of them by hand, the fulcrums all pivot smoothly, no gritty feeling in the bearings. No cracks that I can see. They're supposed to be cast from 17-4 stainless. Mine are not rusty yet, and a magnet sticks to them so they do appear to be cast from a high carbon stainless of some sort. I'm actually pretty impressed with them, but the true test will be how well they hold up in an engine. I'll have mine together in a few months. I guess I'll be keeping a pretty close eye on my valvetrain :?

Mike

What compression? What budget? Street only?

What trans?

Ditch the HEI and go MSD, you won't be sorry.

Carb might be too small, depends on rpm.

Full length headers will offer more HP and Torque call S&S headers.

Windage tray only shows HP gain when turning over 6K

Hyd roller offers more power and tq which is the long arm of the law!

Crower has a nice stainless rocker as does comp cams with their hi-tech stainless rocker. I ran the comp hi-techs before I went to the jesels and not one problem. Some of the cheap rockers have problems with high spring pressure. Even the entry level sportsman series jesel rockers have a limit as for seat pressure where the comp series jesels don't. The comp and pro series jesels are 7068 alloy where the sportsmas series jesels are 2024 alloy. There is usually a reason things are less expensive.

Yeah I was thinking about the Comp Cam stainless set earlier today and I'll probably go with them.

Dr. Hunt, to answer your questions.

It'll probably be a 10.5:1'ish on a moderate budget. Basically for a street car that will see a moderate amount of strip time. I'll be building the body strong enough for constant strip use regardless. I do know that I should probably be going with a 750 Carb or so but I can get a free Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) if I want it. Can't beat free with an egg beater ya know. I'll be looking to do it with a t56 or 700r4. Haven't made up my mind yet. And the block huggers are used for clearance. Don't really want a roller cam.