HybridZ

Anyone think I can make this beasty fit into my 73 240 ?

Worried about the extra width ontop with the turbo and the oil line

out the bottom. I have the jtr book, and parts already.

Chevy350turbo.jpg

http://cyril.com/pics/Datz/DCP_0640.JPG

Right now its in an 81 2+2 and has issues - fuel system pluggs up or

the mechanical fuel pump stops working intermeitidly?

That and a rat got into the engine compartment and made a nest... pooped all over the place and chewed through all the wiring, etc. teach me to leave car out in the weeds eh?

The turbo400 trans seems to slip out of drive, it prolly needs to be rebuilt

or replaced with a nice stick.

Before the rat issue

I replaced the carb with a nice new holley and it ran much nicer..

intake pass through - turbo only used when its under enough load to trigger.. bit of lag when trying to punch it... fun though when it finnaly does close the bypas valve-flappy things.

but issues with keeping the car running and not stalling out every 20 feet,

and of course trying to get it smogged in california... (bleah)

woulda made a nice sleeper if I could have ever hid the v8 sound enough

[/img]

That looks like an old Martin turbo setup? Has poppet valves to let the air/fuel directly into the manifold at a low boost level then closes the valves at a certain boost level and runs it all through the turbo. If I remember right, they did have some turbo lag.

They work ok, better with an auto and higher stall say 3K and up, however they were limited to about 7psi since they didn't have an intercooler and it looks like you are running stock HEI. Try water injection for higher boost levels, works great.

QJet's work fine when properly built, they are rather simple in theory. I've run 13's with a qjet in a 3800 lb car, so don't throw it away. If smog is the problem, fix the qjet since it is an emissions carb otherwise the holley will make you fail anyway.

Turbo 400 is a lead sled, way overkill for such a mild engine and they are heavy. Th350 good to 400HP without going to upgraded input shaft. Be carefull about firming the 1-2 shift too much on a th350, you'll corkscrew the input shaft and/or break the drum. The converters are the same for th350/400 these days so you can save some bucks there. Torco, now art carr, makes a nice 9.5 inch converter for about $300. Also Redneck boys in TX make the same, custom stall for alittle less. Bet you didn't know Torco owned Art Carr for years.

David