HybridZ

!!IMPORTANT!!- California giving $$ to failed smog sufferers

Guest thepheonix23

Guest thepheonix23

Hey guys, i've been away.

Important Governmental Assistance notice for Failed Smog car owners!!!

The consumer Assistance Program is currently running two programs.

Consumer Assistance. If your vehicle failed a biannual smog check you may be elgible for up to $480 dollars in assistance for smog related repairs!

But the vehicle must be registered to you, must not be in change-of-ownership, and either: a. Must say on your DMV registratation renewal that you are TEST ONLY DIRECTED or your monthly/annual income must be LOWER than guidelines set by the CAP.

Vehicle Retirement. If you have a vehicle that has failed smog for any reason the State of California, as of September 2004, will pay YOU $500 to voluntarily crush your car at a junkyard.

there are a few caveats, like the vehicle must have been registered to you for 2 years straight (i.e. no PNO's)

Unfortunately, due to the high workload, processing takes 4-6 weeks. But you can get DMV to issue a temporary operating permit for much longer than that.

Many users of this site complain about how restrictive smog laws are in California. Shure, but there is a way to get your car to pass or get paid to throw it away...on the State!

You just cant beat that, thank the Terminator.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov Resources --- Consumer Assistance Program

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdpage.asp?Body=/Consumer/cap_program.htm

Or call for info: 1-916-255-0719 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm

Living in Sacramento? Get your application processed on the spot--CAP office located by Highway 50 and Bradshaw

I did this about 4 years ago on my CRX, failed at a test only station and received the bucks for a new catalytic and muffler. Pretty cool.

Even got pulled over for an expired sticker, showed my application form to the cop and he let me go.

Owen

Guest bastaad525

They had programs like this going a while back, glad to see they started them back up. Too bad us 240 owners in CA dont get to take advantage of them :shock::twisted:

A lot of good cars get crushed unfortunately. Car Craft has saved at least one Camaro from the crusher. I hate to see 'classic' cars get crushed. My neighbor did that to his '76 Datsun pickup, just becuase it had a "hard time" passing smog. Actually there was nothing wrong with it and he knew it would not get him a good trade in value for his new Toyota pickup. I told him I wish I knew he was selling it--it would have made a great driver for some poor schmuck. Or a good coversion truck for me :twisted:

Still, the vehicle no longer exists. Sad.

Davy