HybridZ

IC piping polishing question

violacleff

Well a friend of mine said that he would take my pipes to get polished from a shop that owed him, while I have been out of state. 1 mo. later and he still hasn't gotten to it. Big surprise. OK question is I've never done any polishing before, and was curious if a good job could be done at home in say an 8-10 hr. period? The shop will take a week to get it back to me and I need to get my car running as soon as I get back. BTW the metal's SS. Is it possible to do a polish job after installing the piping? If so I would rather go that route as I'm tired of this car being down. I have it routed exactly like Cygnus and Bastaad. Any suggestions?

To truly polish SS to a mirror finish,it's 3 times more time consuming than Aluminum for SURE and at LEAST ! :!: I've been doing it for over 28 years (with the right eqpt. and without). The less commercial grade eqpt. you have ...the longer it takes.Period. Now thats if you have a good eye for detail.

If you want to cheat time abit,perhaps you could mock up your pipes with tape(instead of the silicone couplers) and use a "magic marker" to make lines where you believe people won't be able to see.Then remove the pipes and begin sanding and polishing your ass off for as long as it takes.

If you lack knowledge and Equipment, than just sand with grits of as aggresive as 220#(80-100 if worse marks or grain) in bad scratched areas then on down the grit scale (220-1500) and begin polishing with the tools you have access with(???)

A car polisher and a 6" buff with white rouge will get it done ,but its all about technique ,time and tenacity !

Good luck,Happy Shining !........Vince :wink: