HybridZ

forget welding

Ferd/289

I want to repair a small rust area in my passenger floor. Damage is approx 6 squar inches. Instead of welding, (which I cant ) i am thinking of using a cold rolled steel piece and attaching with rivits. I will use a silicon sealer to seal out H2O. Anyone do this or have advice??

Ferd

Make sure you cut out all the bad steel (cut out an inch extra if needed). then strip the surrounding area and paint w/Por15 as per directions. Rivet new steel plate in and fill over-lap w/ dum dum. Hammer edges down between plate and floor pan and reapply dum dum if needed. Prime and shoot w/top coat as per Por15 instructs.

There are some incredable new adhesives out now that offer a viable alternative to welding to repair small rust areas like you describe. Proper surface preparation and attention to fit are essential for good results.

I would drop a PM to Racer X. Ernie is extremely knowledgable in this area and always willing to share his expertize. :2thumbs:

OOOOHH ! :shock: Don't do it that way,please !! Go to your local Paint store(O'reilyl's or the like) and pick up one of their small kits for "DURA-mix" autobody epoxy ! Its waterproof and stronger than the steel it surrounds.It even deadens "tinny" sounding metal.

As long as you have cleaned the metal bare (2-pieces),you just apply the appropriate mix to your pieces and neatly smear it into place.Once its tacked up a bit,spread a "smoothing batch" over the existing visible edges an"VOILA" ! :D

You'll be glad you did it this way !!................Vince

It still ain't gona hold like welding or rivets!
:shock:

Believe it or not......If the prep is done well, the steel will rip or tear BEFORE the Dura-mixed area will even think about fractureing ! :shock:

Quite an amazing technology :idea: .I was a non believer til I saw many junk yard proofs with my own eyes. Most large panels on cars today are built with similiar adhesives,you may not notice this because the damage is usually not where the adhesive held !! And I'm not kiddin'.

.................Vince

There are lots of adhesives and epoxies out there that can seriously outclass rivets. The drawbacks are that they are usually much more expensive, require lots of surface prep/time, and if applied poorly they just won't work.

Just make sure if you do a patch you a) remove all the old rust from the area, and B) seal it tight against moisture once the repair is done.

I have used epoxy to repair both the doors on a full sized Healey (rusted from the inside at the level of the bottom structural member) and some AH Sprite fenders (also rusted from the inside). I started by by sand blasting the rusted area on the inside with a home style blaster (it didn't deform things like the big boys do) and then laying up epoxy fiber glass matting on the inside. I kept it from running through the rust holes by taping the outside after sandblasting, but before layup.

This worked pretty good for me, but I don't know what RacerX would say about it.

Guest 2slo4u

Just DON"T use silicone! Most silicone sealers contain an acid etchant and will keep causing corrosion long after you use it.

I once cut out a small hole in my floor, cleaned and primed it, and riveted a piece of lexan. It worked fine and I'm sure the lexan will outlast the rest of the car. A small hole will probably not affect structural integrity of the car to a noticeable degree.

81zxturbo

95slobaru