HybridZ

Playing with fire...actually, spark.

cygnusx1

Just an FYI. I advanced the base ignition timing to about 26 deg and it makes a world of difference in the 2-3K rpm power band. Lots more torque and smoother power. It also runs VERY strong from 3-5k rpms. I am maxing boost to 14psi and adding about 60psi of fuel under boost to the stock injection with the FMU. I must be near the point of no return because stepping on the gas makes me laugh and grin as if I just found a winning lotto ticket. I dont hear ping but the engine growls a bit more now under load. I really dont ever rev past 5500 rpms and dont race so I think the pistons should be safe. If not, I will let you know and I will upgrade the internals and the FI and consider it "taking one for the team. "

Too Fun!

:twisted:

Guest bastaad525

Out of 9 cars that I've owned, and every single one of them doing the 'free hp' trick of upping the ignition timing, I have NEVER felt as much of a difference out of it as I do with the L28ET. Not on boost, but regular driveability... a couple of degrees of timing added seems to make a TON of difference. I too upped my timing +2 degrees after dynoing (22* at idle)... wish I'd though to do this while on the dyno and see just how much difference it makes :? but after six pulls I just wanted to go before I owed the guy my first born child or something like that. I've seen enough other guys dyno turbo'ed cars and mess with timing to guess it can make a decent 3-5hp difference per degree of advance.

I also eased off my FMU pressure a bit, backed it down to 2.5 turns vs. 3 turns in, figured if you can do it I can do it :) that's giving me 60ish psi of fuel pressure at WOT/full boost. I know this will make it a bit lean after 5000rpm, about 13.3:1 when I tried it on the dyno, but as you said I dont generally rev that high anyways, and by that same dyno chart I'm gaining some 20lt lbs of torque between 3000-4000rpm (still another 20ft lbs to be had there if I lean it out to about 13.8:1 but I'm too scared to try... yet :shock: though I did drive it for how many days like that with no problems?? ).

EDIT: you know... the part of me that err's on the side of not taking any risks frowns and shakes it's head after reading your post... thinking... how long is that motor gonna put up with that... the hybridZ conditioned part of me that wants to warn "don't do that!", but then this other new part of me is thinking... I bet you run the car for a LONNNG time with no problems at all.... I'm taking notes on all of this for future reference and argument :D

Guest bastaad525
I built it once. I can build it again. Let me have fun breaking it! :twisted:

That's funny... as I no longer rely on my Z for daily transportation, and barely take it out once a week nowadays... I find myself adopting this same mindset more and more..

hehehe I just noticed in your sig... ACT sixxx p-p-p-uck-k-k

yeah that sums it up just about right!! That is one piece of performance equipment I definately do NOT regret 'downgrading' from.... you know, my left leg is STILL recovering!