HybridZ

3.1 LIVES!

Dan Baldwin

Decided the good news deserves its own thread:)

I had thought I killed the motor by lean-running-induced detonation. It suddenly lost a ton of power and started running ragged after an acceleration run from ~80 to ~110. Initial look at pistons through the spark plug holes revealed what I *thought* to be detonation evidence. Figgered I might have holed a piston or something (I tend to assume the worst-case scenario has indeed happened). More experienced eyes saw only carbon build-up flecks.

The REAL problem turned out to be the Pertronix Ignitor (replaces the points) throwing 2 magnets, killing cylinders 1 and 5. The magnets (being magnetic and all) were right there stuck to the vac advance plate. Glued and taped 'em back in place. Runs mucho better-o with all 6 firing!

To the track!

I had a similar problem happen to a 510 that I had some years back.I wasn`t running Pertronix, but a Crane Cams photo optical system that used a plastic piece that went over the top of the dist shaft.Well it slipped and I couldn`t figure it out until I pulled out a timing light.Couple of drops of Krazy glue fixed that one.

The little magnets are sorta press-fit into the plastic collar/sleeve that slides onto the distributor shaft, with a couple of layers of adhesive teflon tape holding them in. The tape had come off and the #1 and #5 magnets came out from centrifugal force. I epoxied all of them in place and taped over them again.

Won my class at NHIS, and set the SPB class record for NHIS chicane/chicane at 1:18.7. I think I was third-quick overall, behind a Formula SCCA car (1:11s) and a very fast and well-driven ~400rwhp supercharged M3 built by Turner Motorsports (1:15s). It was pretty funny being gridded behind a freaking formula car and in front of the killer M3 for my timed runs (they run groups of cars with similar times to prevent "catches"). There were a few wide eyes at that sight:)

The little magnets are sorta press-fit into the plastic collar/sleeve that slides onto the distributor shaft, with a couple of layers of adhesive teflon tape holding them in. The tape had come off and the #1 and #5 magnets came out from centrifugal force. I epoxied all of them in place and taped over them again.

OK, I was just trying to make sure you didn't have a problem like I did. The stator hit the reluctor on my ZX dizzy because the vacuum advance mechanism had come apart and allowed the breaker plate to tilt. When I first saw that the two had come into contact I thought that the distributor bushings that were the culprit but when I disassembled it and checked the bushings they were fine.

I know you're using the 240 dizzy, not sure how common bushing or breaker plate issues are on that one.