HybridZ

Starting my swap a little early

DaleMX

Oh well, the engine in my 280Z (stock) is toast. That means I have to start my LS1 swap early. I really hate working in the cold so I had planned on just driving it through the winter and starting in the spring. Now I need the car so out with the old, and in with the overpowered. The LS1/T56 is about ready to go it just needs the water pump installed, and I need to edit the computer. The engine is a 99 and has a TR230 cam, a LS6 intake, 30 lb. injectors, and a ported TB. I had an ASA racing shop do a valve job and the stock heads have CC 918 springs and CC titanium retainers. The stock rockers have been replaced with Yella Terras. I have a set of ported 5.3 heads that are on order but wont be here for a while so I’ll run with the heads I have until next summer.

I can tell that headers are going to be a big problem. I really need 1 ¾†long tubes and a 2 ½†X pipe to take advantage of the cam.

The body is solid but has no subframe connectors. I am planning on running the car with just a rollbar and a front strut bar until next summer.

The rear is a stock R200, but I have a clutch style LSD in the basement that will go in when I do the subframe connectors.

What have I gotten myself into! I always bite off more than I can chew.

:twisted:

Dale,

Sounds like you going to have a real nice ride!

What kind of HP do you think it will produce?

I just heard my 78 start for the first time yesterday since I pulled the orginal motor out over 3 years ago.

I installed a 95 LT1 and nothing went perfect. Even now it runs but I can't juice it or it stalls, I turn the key off and it stays running and when I unhook the battery it stops, (now in the old days that ment the alt was not working)...

But other than the petty set backs I'm enjoying myself! :D

I need to rap up the transmission support and driveshaft next..

And a heads up you can fit that computer under the dash if you like, when you unplug the dash to remove it, behind the glove box, the plugs are in a plastic frame up against the fire wall. I removed the frame and used its suppports to hold the PCM. Its a tight fit but I feel a good spot. If you like to see it just hit me up for a photo. Good luck, glad to see another 78 Z on the roa

Ah, Grand Rapids. I lived in Charlevoix for a couple of years but had to get away from the cold wind and deep snow.

With the stock heads it should be in the 375-400 RWHP range. With heads it could get 400-440. If I cant work out the headers then I'll take the cam down a few notches, put on the heads and hope for 375.

I like the idea of the computer mounting. I saved the frame for it and I'll look at putting it inside the car for sure. I had speartech make the harness and add 6 inchs to the computer leads so I would have plenty of room for it.

I know that LT1 is hell on wheels too! With a good tune and good exhaust you should be flying. Good luck, I know your excited now that your real close.

I started disassembly today. I have taken a bunch of pics. I was going to follow Johns instructions but the order of things doesn't suit me. I'll document what I did and email it to him to review.