HybridZ

240 SX engine cradle

Guest VegaZ

Hello. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the engine cradle from a 240SX in my 1980 ZX. I am just thinking of ways to mount the SR20 in my ZX I took the measurments today and they are about the same size. So if I took just the cradle and took all the other stuff attached to it off. The engine cradle on a 240SX mounts to the bottom of the front frame, so I could probably mount my motor to the trans, and with the motor in the proper place, mark my holes and drill then attach cradle and bolt motor to cradle. What do you think? Do you think it would work? Or do you think I should try and come up with something different? Also for more support I can seam weld the cradle too? Any suggestions or comments or concerns feel free to say so.

Interesting thought. Provided the mounting bolt spacing (e.g. frame rail spacing) can be accomodated, this should work well. The greatest concern is not whether the engine will mount, or even if the crossmember (cradle) will, but what is the spacing for the front control arms. The inner bushing spacing will need to be close to the OEM Z spacing. I believe the SX is a good bit wider in this respect, which would push the suspension further outboard.

Okay, I think I understand what you are saying, You think the cradle will get in the way of the front suspension, or will push the front frame out. I did not think of that. So what if I cut the cradle right in front of the engine mount and bolt and weld it to the frame I could also box in the mount, I am just trying to come up with an easier and sturdier way to mount the SR. I don't like the idea of just welding some home made mounts to my frame and putting a motor in and calling it done. I dont think welding alone is the way to go, I think welding and bolts is better. I will know more tomorow when I go to the junk yard and pull the cradle. For now just trying to bounce ideas around, especially to those who have gone through this before.

Funny.. I was thinking of something like this today for my planed V8.. Im getting a 351 windsor out of a 91 Crown Vic (I get whole car, junk what I don't use) and thought.. Hey.. I could cut the front of the frame and crossmember off of the ford, and somehow 'graft' it onto/into the Z front frame section. (besicaly delete the Z 'rails' and weld the ford frame to the strut towers/firewall)

As for the mounting of the rack and lower suspension arm, I was thinkng of custom bracket(s) using pieces of the stock Z crosmember welded it.. Heck anything's possible I guess.. just how much time/$$$ are you willing to spend..

If you could narrow the suspension pickup points without narrowing the motor mounts... then I think it would work well. However, I think you may be working backwards here.... strengthening the motor mount area, and weakening the front suspension.

I'm sure with the right thought put into it, it will work though.

• 2 weeks later...

It shouldn't narrow or widen the suspension points at all. The 4 cylinder motor mounts should attach way farther back in the engine compartment compared to that of the factory Z k-member.

So to answer your question, yes, should be able to use the k-member to mount a 4 cylinder (whether KA, SR, or CA). You're going to have to tap bolt holes in the frame rail, or just weld the member on. I don't know which way is better/possible since I have NOT done it yet. If you don't want to make a custom k-member, I think this is the easiest way to do it.

I'm planning on doing this myself, but I'm probably not going to get around to that portion of the restoration until a couple of months from now. Not til I get the SR, anyway. lol.

True, I didn't think about the SX cradle being set behind the Z crossmember, but: The SX "cradle" as termed is designed similar to the Z in that it's a full crossmember which holds the motor mounts. I've not measured, or compared the Z crossmember to the SX crossmember, but I'm almost sure the SX crossmember is wider. And being the SX crossmember angles upward for the motor mounts just inside the frame rails, this would require very similar dimensions between the two sets of frame rails to make it viable (without a lot of modifying). I'll measure my '92 later today and come up with some dimensions.

I might have to take back what I posted earlier. . . I just measured the distance b/w the framerails, and found out that the SX rails are MUCH farther apart than the Z.

BTW, these measurements are from the S14, but I should be posting measurements for the 13 soon. . .

I measured the distance from the OUTER edges of the framerails, and got 85cm for the S14, and 65cm on the 240Z. The thickness of the rails are both about 7-7.5cm, so this idea of mine may or may not work. Which really saddens me b/c I was hoping that I could use 2 SX cradles (1 for mounting the engine, and 1 for the steering rack w/ power steering)

I'm getting either an S13 or a 14 next month (donor car) when I go back to Japan, and was going to use that cradle for the engine, and use an S13 cradle we had laying around for the rack and pinion for power steering from the SX (shorten the wheelbase by mounting the lower control arm inward about an inch or two). After getting the measurements, however, I'm less confident that it'll bolt-on.

I'm still thinking, w/ modification, this might work, and I'll keep everyone posted as I find out more. I will be starting the project as soon as the S13 or 14 gets in, so it probably won't be til January.