HybridZ

Busted my U-joint off the line!

datsunan

It's kinda imbarassing :oops: when you launch at the drags and hear that loud bang as your driveshaft snaps off and you have to push your car off the track! Thats why I decided to do some mods to my drivetrain. I now have a Borg warner T-5 and CV joint half shafts. I want to get larger u-joints for the DS so I brought what I have to a shop to have my DS beefed up. I have two input yokes one from my 240 and one from a z31 neither fit. One has the wrong # of teeth and the other has the right teeth but is to big to fit into the BW tailshaft. If I can find the yoke that fits I'm told it will be thin walled and have the small u-joints that I don't want. So what is everyone who is running a BW and high HP using? I Want to get back to the drags sooooooon Please help. Thanks Paul

I run a BW T-5 and went through the same problem as you. I actually twisted the yoke and u-joint rather than breaking it in two. Unless someone is manufacturing a new part, you are stuck with the OEM style yoke that only supports the smaller u-joint. Trust me on this. The best way to improve strength is to use the Nissan u-joint and to build the driveline with as little forward/backward freeplay as possible. You don't need the typical inch a live axle requires. This allows you to put as much of the yoke as possible into the splines of the transmission. I run 1/4 inch.

I'm not sure if you are launching this way, buy a suggestion is to launch by slipping the clutch out rather than side stepping. Besides improving my 60ft time, it's MUCH easier on the drivetrain.