HybridZ

83 280zx wont stay runnin

Guest 83supaZ

Guest 83supaZ

unless i keep jumper cables connected from another vehicle.. i took the alt out to a shop. they said it was fine. dash keeps saying headlights and tail lights are bad. they are both working fine as far as i can tell. the battery is no good. does the battery have to have a certain amount of charge before the alt will keep the car running?

Check the black fusible link in the plastic box that's in front of the battery under the hood. If it is burned or broken, the battery won't get voltage from the alternator. You can remove it and try stretching it a little. It should not stretch at all.

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Good advise in the above post but, I want to mention that I've had the black link look and test good but, not work right. If there is any question just replace it. Do not use plain wire you want to use fuseable link wire. It can be found in most parts shops. Stay with the black size wire and resist the temtation to go one size larger. Your electrical system will thank you for it.