HybridZ

Mopar Help?

Guest NavyZ

Okay, I'm new to the forum. In the past I've been a SBC guy, or just stick with the straight six. Recently I have come across a '72 240Z (heavily modified) that literally has my name on it (Grant is stenciled into the steering wheel). It supposedly has a 399 horsepower V8 mopar, Chrysler 727 three speed trans, with "Hurst V-matic" shifter. It's got a 440 cam on it, with edelbrock high-rise intakes, 625 demon carb, griffen aluminum radiator, custom exhaust, k&n filter (of course, who DOESN'T have this?) duel electric fans, 2400 torque converter, racing clutches, front racing suspension (I should hope so!), quick-turn buckles (good stuff, eh?), 15" wheels, 265 tires, front and rear frame connectors, and a 280Z rear end with 295 tires.

Okay, so now that I've shown you all this, I need everyone's help/advice.

1) Do I get it?

2) What the heck kind of engine is this? I've never worked on these types, so tell me all about it.

3) How concerned should I be that this 240 has a 280 rear end hooked up to something that is nearly three times the power of a normal 280?

Thanks for your time. I'm waiting on laughs, chuckles, gasps, sighs, and a lot of swearing.

Guest rpmrevs

Alright first off... i'm kind of a mopar guy but i'm confused... what do you mean by 440 cam on it? i mean is at 440 big block.. or is it a small block? a big block would look really big in the engine bay....

as for the rear end... it depends on which rear they put into it.. because the 280 if my information is correct came with both the R180 and R200 differential.. the latter is known to take around 500 HP before it blows or so i'm told the R180 .. i don't know..

as to do you get it... well depends on how much it is... lol and whether you want to spend the time on it...

i possibly could tell you more if i had a picture ot go off of or something

hm, well, 400 and 440 are both big blocks (400 is a destroked 440), I'd like to see what it looks like in a Z.

as far as rear diffs go, the r200 can take about 400 ft lbs of torque, but the halfshafts will break a lot sooner than that. with that block, you're probably making over 450 ft lbs of torque, so I'd look to bigger rear diffs like an r230 out of a q45 with cv axles

hm' date=' well, 400 and 440 are both big blocks (400 is a destroked 440), I'd like to see what it looks like in a Z.

as far as rear diffs go, the r200 can take about 400 ft lbs of torque, but the halfshafts will break a lot sooner than that. with that block, you're probably making over 450 ft lbs of torque, so I'd look to bigger rear diffs like an r230 out of a q45 with cv axles[/quote']

Just to clarify:

Q45 rear = R200 Viscous LSD

300ZX TT = R230 Viscous LSD

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=35406

That said....depending on general condition of the car and price, go for it!!! Not very many Mopar Z cars around....

Tim

Thanks guys! I knew y'all at hybrid would help me out. I'm gonna call and look around for that R230 and some CV axle, then I'll make a decision on whether to buy or not. Have a good one.