HybridZ

testing ls1 computer...help

hey all, my donor car [01 trans am ws6, 6spd, 20,044 mi, wrecked] arrived last week. the car was hit in the right front-bumper cover, r fender and hood gone, beefy bar behind bumper cover, radiator, etc. all untouched. some suspension and steering rack damage and pushed the right front support back, appears to have pinned the computer in and severed many wires going into it. computer was pulled out and wires twisted together when i got it. in my driveway we charged the battery, i soldered all the 'severed' wires to the computer [previous owner has just twisted together the wires, no solder and small pieces of electrical tape] checked oil, etc and other electrical connections and fired it up. ram air box was damaged in crash so there's no air filter in front of the maf sensor. it runs like crap-initially blowing bits of catalitic converter from the tailpipes, running rich, barely idles. blipping the throttle, it seems to clear it's throat somewhat but still very rich. no tachometer, although it does, along with the speedo [just after startup] go from 0 to full and back to 0 then nothing. good oil pressure and volts. friend has a handheld programmer/diagnostic he uses for his '02 fbody formula, hooked it up and it wouldn't read the computer-only thing it did was state 'is ign on'. my goal is to get it running ok and ensure there are no errant problems prior to pulling the engine trans. this is my first venture into a v8 or non datsun car in 20 years, so i'm humbly asking for some help. can i remove the ecu to test it? is there something different that i should be doing?