HybridZ

VW 2Turbo diesel V10 = Poor Man's Viper?

TheNeedForZ

Hi guys

I am new to cars and engines so I don't know if this idea is sound or feasible at all but I 'll say it anyway.

I remember reading an article about a VW Touareg travelling in eastern Canada and the car has an engine option that is a diesel V10 twin turbo. So I was wondering if it is possible to put it into a 1gen Z. Also is it possible to modify a diesel engine(de-stroke it?) to make it run on regular gasoline?

Here's the spec of the powertrain(it looks weaker than a regular SBC, but it's a stock diesel engine after all. RPMS are very low, hence the 6 speed manu-matic)

Engine : Twin turbo 4.9L SOHC V10 diesel

Power : 310@3750

Torque: 553@2000

Transmission : 6 speed manu-matic

Car itself is permanent 4WD and weighs 5825lbs, manufacturer claims 0-60 in 7.5 secs. Top speed is 130mph electronically limited.

Guest big_bitty

as for de-stroking it to make it gas, forget it. A diesel runs on compression and glow plugs, where as a gas motor runs on valves and spark plugs. If you could do it, i doubt you'd ever find a set of heads to fit the v-10, seeing how diesels dont have valves.

If diesels dont have valves, then how does the A/F mixture get into the chamber and how does that spent A/F mixture get out?

Diesels do have valves. They do not have spark plugs. Because they run at such high compression(ex. 20:1) there is no need for a spark. Once that air is compressed in a diesel engine it will ignite the fuel as soon as it is sprayed into the chamber, due to the high compression causing so much heat that it just ignites. The only reason diesels have glow plugs is for cold start applications. Once the engine is warm the glow plugs are turned off.

The only real differences that a diesel engine has from a gas engine is the hight compression and the lack of an "ignition" system.

Guy

Actually the deisel fuel is injected at the end of the compression cycle, only the air is compressed and the fuel is injected near TDC which then immediately ignites, that's why you don't see carburated diesels. Also, that's why the diesel injector systems have as high as 5000psi. Look it up. :wink:

Also why there is no "unwanted detonation". If you compressed the fuel and air together it'd ignite at some point maybe even on the intake stroke.