HybridZ

SOLID ROLLER LIFTERS vs HYDRAULIC ROLLER

My question is can I buy and install Solid Roller lifters in place of my Hydraulic Roller lifters without changing the cam? I have the retrofit Comp Cams kit. Can I just purchase solid roller lifters for the retrofit without changing my cam? How much more power do Solids make vs Hydraulic? My friend went from 12.45 to 12.17 by changing his setup. Any input???? Im trying to make the 350 as stout as possible before going 383..

Terry

I don't think you can exchange between the two. I would contact the cam mfg to find out though. From what I believe a solid lift cam is ground less agressively ie ramp and total lift than a hyd cam. With a solid roller you get all the lift all the time vs having to "pump up" a hyd lifter (as RPM increase so does lift?) I am running a solid roller on the street (don't ask I just wanted to do it) I know there are members that can better answer this question than I cam however I am happy with my set up.

Can post specs later.

ds

That's not a wise suggestion, while it may work it is certainly not recommended, I know rollers are easy on cams, but.... I saw a guy bore a 350's to 4.125 to make his own 377 without using a 400 block, it worked for a couple of weeks before grenading. If the swap were genuine, then they'd only make one type of roller cam and ask you for your choice of lifter. Solid and hydraulic roller cams both have their own specific opening ramp characteristics and I don't believe that solids will offer alot more performance on the same grind. While hydraulics have a slower opening rate so as not to collapse the lifter, solids have to take up lash, ie get the lifter moving upwards before the steepness of the ramp exerts side load on the lifter. Try a street roller grind if you are looking for more performance, say around .600 lift and about 250 duration, it'll have better street characteristics, be more drivable, have cast gear for distributor, require less spring pressure, last longer and make lots of power even on low compression. Still with solid roller I've gone 15K miles on race grinds before starting to break springs due to fatigue, so plan on changing springs every now and then.

Solid rollers are noisy, so be aware of that, run a stud girdle if you don't want to be setting lash every week. I'v got a set of World sportsman cast iron 72cc angle plug heads ported, 40 runs on 'em, set up for .670 lift solid roller with manley race flow valves, isky springs, comp steel retainers, 6 month old harlan sharp 1.6 roller rockers and stud girdle for offering to any hybrid z guy, hybrid z guy friend, wife, brother, mother, dad, brother, inlaw, outlaw or whatever cheap. Just think how pleased your mom would be if you bought her some race heads. "Oh, ma, if you don't want them I'll trade you for a nice robe and slippers, just let me take them and I'll go to the store."

David