HybridZ

More new dyno numbers...

Guest Cronic

Mustang dyno, as always. Unloaded using dynojet conversions...

http://www.chaos-kitten.net/images/feddyno.jpg

Just for the non-believers. I took the pic off the monitor at the dyno, since I cant scan the sheets.

UNFORTUNATLY, the driveshaft nearly snapped on the dyno. My a/f was 14:1 due to the STUPID SDS EIC not doing it's job. :roll:

Enjoy.

This was at 16psi (20 spike for about a half second).

feddyno.jpg

Guest bastaad525

HOLY COW!!! 399ftlbs :shock: well you stole MY thunder :D seriously though congrats. VERY nice numbers for such a modest setup. So did you get any sign of ping at 14:1? I'm betting no :D I keep saying they can put up with lean running like that... at least for short blasts, with no problem. Not that I"m saying leave it like that. So what's wrong with the EIC? Is it malfunctioning? Some issue with programming? Or it's just not a good unit? You were trying to tell me to get one of those weren't you? :D Actually the FMU is working out pretty well so far but I"m afraid to push much more boost/fuel pressure. I probably will go with some extra injectors at some point... waiting to see how long you guys can get away with such high boost before someones T3 goes KAPUT but so far no one's has keeled over... maybe I need to push mine a little more :D

Im really upset with the outcome, I could only do one run, because after installing the 4 puck clutch last weekend, the tranny wont stay connected to the block completely. There are 2 bolts on the bottom, that are mounted via a bracket, and well... one hole is stripped, the other broken off inside.

This morning while tryin to put the car in reverse to leave for work, I hear this god aweful sound. Welp, the clutch is totally misaligned now. When I tear it apart tomorrow, I just pray that I didnt hurt the pressure plate.

At anyrate, the numbers are slightly off, because of the boost spike @ 20. Note, I made all that tq @ 3000, right when he started the run.

No, there was no sign of ping. However boost wasn't holding, and when running that lean, the knock sensor brings a shit load of timing out of the ecu. So there's another reason for such low whp numbers and the crazy high torque. With that torque number, I should have seen well into the 300's for whp.

I've decided once the tranny is fixed, before I go with another dyno run. To simply upgrade the turbo, and fuel pump (Still on stock pump) and perhaps down the line, run straight race gas to my extra injectors, for an added safety bonus. Dunno about the last one yet. Either way, 12psi from a t3/t4 should be more hp then Im making now.

Guest bastaad525

knock sensor? What's that :D ? Heh for real I dont even know what happened to the wire that goes to the knock sensor on my car...

well looking at the power curve it certainly doesn't look like the ECU was pulling out a lot of timing... you'd see a huge power and torque loss if timing was being pulled. It looks to me like the torque stays flat and strong all the way up the revs.

You know, I actually didn't really look at the graph before, I just looked at the numbers.... so that 399ft lbs was just a spike, but you're really making more like 250ft lbs all the way across (gets some of his thunder back :D ). I'm REALLY amazed that even by 6000rpm torque has barely started to fall... I've NEVER seen torque stay so level (from 3k all the way to 6k and still going!!) on a non-highly-modified L28ET setup or stock T3 before, regardless of boost level. Torque ALWAYS tends to start dropping somewhere between 4-5k with stock T3, cam and head. So I'm not sure why you're saying power is falling off on top and that's why you have such a 'low' hp number or why you're saying the ECU is pulling timing. You're hp is actually higher, relative to your average torque (not counting that spike) than what most L28ET's get. Every one I've seen dynoed around here, tends to make about 15-30% higher torque number than HP. If you're torque stayed at high 300's instead of just a spike, THEN you could expect to see 300ish rwhp. You can't really base your expectations or observations on that torque/boost spike.

Guest bastaad525
So did you get any sign of ping at 14:1? I'm betting no :D I keep saying they can put up with lean running like that... at least for short blasts' date=' with no problem. :D[/quote']

Just cause it's not knocking doesn't mean your pistons aren't going to melt.

I won't argue that... but I've yet to hear of it happening to anyone on this board. I was running really lean for a long time before I found out on the dyno and did some tuning. Other guys are running stock EFI and know they are running lean, and still drive the snot out of it running the 1/4 mile or whatever. Of course I'd never let mine run that lean now that I have the ability to tune it and now that I know a little better, and wasn't suggesting he keep his that way either. Just saying that... they do seem to be able to put up with it with no ill effects, in spurts at least, when a lot of people seem to think you'd be pinging it to death at that point.

Sorry... I'm still stuck in that 'leaner is better' argumentative mindset that I fell into after my tuning session on that Dynapack. My own recent re-test on a Dynojet showed that richer or leaner really had only minimal effects on power, so I no longer have the urge to run it as lean as I can get away with. It was a bad phase for me... I'm taking a little too long to get over it :D

Im not basing my hp guessing on the tq curve from that graph, that was more of a joke then anything. :lol:

The jolt of 399wtq was him turning the dyno on RIGHT as it spiked 20psi, it immediately fell, and timing was already pulled from 3Krpm+, which is why the numbers were so low. Remember, before I made 266/324. With the same spike, just a better a/f of about 10:1 or so.

Guest bastaad525

Okay so the lower power was the only indicator the knock sensor was acting up? Or you were watching timing as well? And what is wrong with the AIC?

I'll try to break it down the best I can, cause I suck at explaining stuff...

The immediate power loss was due to a couple things. 1. The boost spiked 20 and fell off just as quick as it spooled. The EIC went dead lean, my car has been randomly doing this, and my attempts to fix it have failed. My next step is a new ECU. If that doesn't do it. Im going standalone, or Z31t MAF/ECU. Lastly of course, 14:1 = ping = yank timing. Which also threw the power down.

Still Over my last dyno run. I gained 1hp peak. The tq numbers are useless because the boost fell off. They're real, however, useless.

Guest bastaad525
If I could only get 20psi to STAY! GRR!!!

You uh... sure that would be a good thing? I'd be scared as hell to run my turbo at full time 20psi....

I can't say I've ever heard of anyone else running theirs that high... though Jersey (certified crazy) comes close, but he even admits he's almost TRYING to break it.

I'm having trouble telling for sure, but it seems like your actual torque peak is about even with your HP peak? Thats pretty unusual.

When you say boost fell off, did you mean it fell off after the torque peak? You should've carried that torque into higher horsepower I would think. (as long as the boost held)

Oh well, I haven't examined a lot of dyno sheets on these low-revving motors. Seems like it needs more top end flow.

Well yeah, the boost fell off by about 5psi, and the car ran lean over the entire range. I explained the chart earlier. The powerband should've been much better, and the torque should have been around 370 peak, and 300hp peak.

Guest altarr240z

I live in Tampa also, where do you get your car dynoed at? Do you ever go to the track at Desoto speedway. I go to the track every once in a while but never see any other 240z-280zxt there.

That particular dyno was at Coastal Dyno. They're just outside of Riverview off of Causeway and 78th St. I also used to use Secret Services for everything until they closed shop. Xat is another dyno, located just off Dale Mabry, I highly recommend them. Another good friend of mine used to work there. He now owns his own shop. Ramsey's is another good dyno off Hillsborough Ave. right in front of the air port in Tampa. I've used them a couple times, but their dyno is above ground, and that just kinda scares me with my car. It already floats on other dynos. So im cautious about that.

At 1320, I ran a best (about a year ago) of 14.7 on 11psi. The time before that on 15psi I snapped a driveshaft, and so I slipped the clutch off the line. Don't want that pesky shaft killing me or anything. ;)

Guest altarr240z

Cool, I actually live in Riverview so it's not to farr from my house. I've been to the 1320 event a couple times, alot of people there then, can't get to many runs in. Runday sunday is a good time to go, Hardly anyone there early in the morning. I would like to talk Z's with ya sometime, I have a 72 240z and a 83 280zxt. I'm looking to do some mod's on the 280zxt in the near future and would like to check out your car for some idea's.