HybridZ

Porsche 996 intercooler on ebay. Good Buy?

Thumper

Guest bastaad525

I dunno if you'd be interested, but I still have the Buick G/N stock I/C I bought from Tim240z... ended getting my Trust I/C for free, so this one just sitting gathering dust. There are guys still running this I/C on their G/N's making ~400hp, so it's definately an efficient unit. ScottieGNZ also gave the thumbs up on using it in a Z. Here's a pic of one:

82_1_b.JPG

The inlet and outlets are a little oddly placed, so getting it installed might take some creative routing. I was going to modify the them, make them shorter, and rotate them so they both faced out to the sides. But some guys on here gave me some good ideas for how to install it w/o even doing that (like installing it with the pipes coming out of the bottom, and run the pipe from turbo to I/C under the rad support).

Anyways, I'd be happy to let it go for what I paid for it, $75, if you're interested. I also have a few sections of 2.25" SS pipe left over from my own I/C install, and a whole mess of 2.25" silicone couplers in blue and red, that I could throw in for maybe an extra $25? I can take a pic so you can see what I have... as soon as my wifes sister gives back our damn camera!

Conversely, the 996 I/C looks like a good deal... not sure if those are 'good' ones or not.. as long as the 996, stock, makes more power and is equal or greater displacement than your motor, you should be fine. It looks like you'd have as much fun getting that one installed as the Buick one, however... and the price is already higher on the porsche unit :D .

Hey bastaad525 what are the dimensions on the intercooler. I am looking to get about 250-260hp and 310lb. I think your intercooler would work especially since it has metal end tanks instead of plastic like the porsche. But yeah installing it would be fun :twisted: What shapes of 2.25" ss piping is it. Straight? 90 degree? 45 degree? Also how much piping do you have. Enough for a complete setup? half? 1/4? TIA

Hey bastaad525, if Thumper isn't interested in the intercooler I definitely would be. My goal is 300hp so that would work nicely. Let me know how it works out. Thanks.

Greg '77 280Z

Guest bastaad525

ugh... just eyeballing it, no ruler handy, it's about 1.5 to 1.75 ft wide, about 1.25 ft tall, and a bit over 3 inches thick (way thicker than the usual frontmounts I've seen.

As I said, I know guys are using it up to 400hp... it'll definately support your targets.

Well.. the pipes and stuff I have... not a whole lot of piping actually, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 left of what I used on my car. One straight section about 2 feet long. Another straight section about 6-8" long, and one section about one foot with a slight (I dunno 5 or 10 degree) angle in it, but it's a press bend, so it narrows down a little bit at that point.

The silicone couplers/pipe, on the other hand, I have a TON left. Enough to do 2-3 installs :D . One blue section, just over a foot long, and six red orange sections, ranging from about 4 inches to just under a foot long. The silicone alone is worth quite a bit... the place I bought it from sells it for about $25 a foot, but the two 90* bend sections were very long, so I used what I cut off of those to make all the couplers I needed and still have some left over. So retarded that they make them so long like that.

All of the piping and couplers are 2.25".

Not sure what all of that you could/would end up using, but DEFINATELY worth an extra $25, no? Maybe just keep passing on the leftovers for $25 :lol:

Conversely, the 996 I/C looks like a good deal... not sure if those are 'good' ones or not.. as long as the 996, stock, makes more power and is equal or greater displacement than your motor, you should be fine.....

Good advice but one minor correction. Engine displacement is not a factor. It is all about HP and airflow. You need air flowing into the engine to make HP and a 1500hp supercharged 8.0L BBC requires the same amount of air as the old 1.5L F1 turbo engines that made the same HP in qualifying form. That's the best I could come up with to emphasize the point :D

That 996 does not seem to be the best intercooler, it is prolly a reighman and or something sounding like that :) cooler, best block you can get has to be the Autocooler accoprding to a guy that knows a thing or two about torboeing a car, but it is also expensive.

The plastic tanks are not your best bet, and also a flow through desing would be better, when you want to get an Porsche IC go with the 944!! they are really nifty and have agood flow through desing, and a autocooler block ( in some cases depends on model year and maybe market) but even whitout the autocooler (there are probably more cores that are very good!)block they have are semingly very good IC's

happy hunting, but i would leave this be, contrary to a Z a porsche has no space, you can mount about everything. and i go with the point of flow, the bends on bastards IC are the same story, it is a restriction, so if you go for that cooler i would adapt the in and outlet to be less restrictive and providing a better flow trough..

But you have space, look on eaby and good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7930879481&rd=1

52_1.JPG

this looks like a nice item (flow Through whise) at 180 USD right now, but a IC could probabley be gotten cheaper from an NPR orso at a yard.

From what i was told small trucks ( we have plenty in europe) mostly run better more durable IC's since they need to get more miliga, so looking at a truck yard ( no not perbuilts :) ) would be an option, and might be a cheap way to a good cooler

or do as this guy http://www.zcarclub.com.au/ project/simon/simon.htm and cut down a core and weld ( or let someone) new endtanks, if you can find a friendly welder you might get away with a sixpack!!

but this seems to fit ( though there are three models small Huge and HUGE search witch one fits best) these seem to be very good even in flow tests!!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7930664256&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7930848317&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or if you dont care for looks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7930971615&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

dunno if it fits not that good with inches :)

well good luck agian ( sorry for the long post i got the vibe and started ebaying )

I think you could do a lot worse on intercoolers than the 996 intercooler. The 996 twin turbo makes 415 HP, so each IC is designed to take 207.5 HP. However, keep in mind that these intercoolers were designed for a tight space, on an air cooled Porsche. So I would think that a 400 HP Porsche 996 would need a much larger intercooler than a 400 HP Z.

That 996 IC is about the same size as the small NPR, but it's bar and plate. If I could do it over again, I might have tried the 996 IC over the NPR.

I almost bought one of those $200 bar and plates on Ebay (ie the picture that Frank280Zx posted). I think it could be made to work in a S30, but the 3" inlet & outlet might be difficult to work with.

Sean

73 240Z Turbo

I think you could do a lot worse on intercoolers than the 996 intercooler. The 996 twin turbo makes 415 HP' date=' so each IC is designed to take 207.5 HP. However, keep in mind that these intercoolers were designed for a tight space, on an air cooled Porsche. So I would think that a 400 HP Porsche 996 would need a much larger intercooler than a 400 HP Z.

That 996 IC is about the same size as the small NPR, but it's bar and plate. If I could do it over again, I might have tried the 996 IC over the NPR.

I almost bought one of those $200 bar and plates on Ebay (ie the picture that Frank280Zx posted). I think it could be made to work in a S30, but the 3" inlet & outlet might be difficult to work with.

Sean

73 240Z Turbo[/quote']

The 996 this IC come from are not lIqiud cooled anymore, and 415 HP is a nice number agreed. however this does not make one IC 207,5 HP that is fuzzy math, the engine would not make 0 HP without the IC's, and it is flow a 996 engine might need lot less pressure, so i think your argument i agree on the bar and plate, just not on your reasoning on efficienty