HybridZ

240Z SU's

Toysport

Guest bastaad525

absolutely, BUT... with the stock needles and nozzles, there may be lean running or tuning issues. Stock needles were designed for 2.4 liters and no more. Some people do run them on 2.8's though. You will probably want to go with, at least, a set of SM needles and nozzles (I think this are from a jaguar, Ztherapy.com should still be selling them though). Those needles will get you far... good power on a 2.8, but they aren't 'perfect' by any means. There were some fat spots and some flat spots when I was tuning them on a dyno... getting the best power definately involved some compromising.

I dont' remember how much it costs (but it seemed reasonable at the time I was inquiring) but Rebello will custom grind you some needles for your specific app... this is the best way to go if you want to spend the extra cash. They may even have a 'ready made' needle better tailored to a stock L28 motor converted to SU's... something that works better than the SM's.

Guest 83supaZ

i just bought a set of SU's with the intake for 125 including s/h. great deal if ya ask me... i just recieved them today as a matter of fact. these carbs are what.. around 32 yrs old.. what should i be checking for as far as if they work right? i know i will probably need a rebuild kit for them.. anyone have any good sites? i also will be running mine on a '83 L28 well... after i finish my other engine work. also... should the intake be polished? and whats a good way to clean up the outside to get some of the crud off of it

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I have a set of round top SU's from a '72 240Z with only 86k miles. I'll take $125 shipped for the whole setup, manifolds and all.

The car ran good but has been sitting for a year since the frame rail fell off. I assume the carbs will need to be cleaned and/or rebuilt.

I also have a Holley 390cfm carb with a few hundred miles on it, and a Arizona Z Car 4 barrel manifold. The stuff was installed on the car in July and has barely been used. Whole setup including air filter for $500. That's $100 off retail and it's as good as new.

Guest bastaad525

Rebuilding them is very easy and not very expensive. However, you could just try to give them a thorough tune up first and see how they run, before even going that far (if on visual inspection they look in good shape).

Muskrat mentions about the throttle shafts, and this is the one thing you have to look for on older used SU's as a problem area. If they have worn throttle shafts, you'll never get them running 100% right. I dont know if there is a way to check for this w/o having the carbs on the car. You'll have to install them, give them a basic tuneup, start the car, and while it's running, spray the sides of the body of the carb, around the throttle linkage and such, with carb cleaner, and if the idle changes, you most likely have leaky shafts.

You can send your bodies to Ztherapy, or, I think you just buy rebuilt bodies from them and then send them back your bodies for a core charge. I think it used to be like $150 for the set. This is just the throttle bodies, no linkage, no float, no dome/top section. Their replacement bodies come with the much better ball bearing throttle shafts, which should last just about forever.