HybridZ

engine lag.. getting too much fuel and flooding?

i am starting to experience a problem with my car. after starting up the car the muffler pops like crazy. i know i'm running very rich, but it didnt pop like that before. the popping isnt so much a problem as is the now sluggish revving. the car has a 10 pound flywheel and used to rev up and down like a motorcycle. now it is very sluggish. depressing the pedal results in slow gurgles and pops. here is some background info to some of the recent changes:

1) new transmission from '81

2) royal purple 75/90 synthetic tranny oil

3) bottle of "seafoam" poured in half full gas tank

umm other than that, i'm not sure what may be the cause...

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
Guest tony78_280z

Describe "muffler popping"? What is seafoam in gas tank? Why is it running rich? I'd think the richness problem would be more significant than a Popping muffler. Fix that and it'll prolly go away.

yup thats the stuff. it works really well and its only $6 at O'reilly. lots of people run it through their pcv valve to clean out the carbon deposits in the engine.

anyway, the car is a 1978 280z but has an E88 head and SU carbs. the car ran fine originally, before the tranny went out (the day i bought it). after putting the new tranny in, i put sea foam in the tank. i guess the sea foam cleaned out the jets or whatever and caused the carbs to dump too much fuel in. the car has a 10lb flywheel and it revved like it weighed 50. the plugs got fouled up after running for about 1 or 2 mins at low rpm's.

anyway, now it seems to be running better with some carb tuning but it still runs like ass. i need to get that Z Therapy video and rebuild them or get new ones.. i think the carbs are the source of most of my problems at this point...