HybridZ

Air intake problems need some advice

violacleff

I have a '73 with an l28et. My IC piping is routed the same as Bastaad525 and Cygnusx (using both holes at the top two ends of the radiator) I have a '45 coupler off the TB to clear the dizzy and my greddy type R bov is mounted pointing downwards. The problem is that my air filter is to big to clear anything down there (mainly the bov). So I'm wondering if I should route some '3 aluminum piping under the radiator and upwards behind the grill. My other option is buy the smallest air filter I can find and just doing a 45' downwards where the sway bar is. Though I have read some concerns about being too close to the ground and sucking up water. Is there anything wrong doing it the first way? I don't feel like buying another $100 air filter. Also is there any cheaper material that I could use from say home depot to route it? 90' bends in aluminum and 3' couplers get expensive (for me). Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

Guest bastaad525

I know guys use that stuff, can't say if it affects air flow much, I'm sure there is some effect though. The original AFM-to-Turbo rubber boot had bellows in it... I imagine it'd be the same effect.

Just curious are you not running the AFM? The way mine is set up, I'm running the stock AFM-to-Turbo boot, the AFM sits right next to the radiator, with the turbo-to-IC pipe passing over it. From the AFM, I have a short (4"?) rubber coupler that sits right up against the radiator support, then a short piece of metal pipe passes from that thru the rad support... I had to enlarge the hole in the support a bit (a second, smaller hole, under the hole I'm sure you routed your I/C pipe thru), and I mounted my filter on that... so the filter is right up against the rad support and against the side of the I/C. I'd eventually like to get a 90* bend pipe and route it the 'cool' way out in front of the I/C.

I had to get real sneaky with my setup as I didnt want to cut any body metal at all. I have the AFM, a larger turbo, an A/C compressor, PCV plumbing, and the BOV air return to the Turbo Intake. That's ALOT of stuff in a small area.

I will describe how I did my cold air intake.

Start at the Turbo Inlet -> Stock ZX rubber boot shortened by about 6" with a fitting T'd into it for the BOV return ->AFM sits over the A/C compressor, front of the AFM is flush with the A/C clutch. -> 3"Cobra Head elbow on the front of the AFM points down towards the road->3" Steel exhaust pipe ovalized in the vice to sneak snugly between the radiator and the A/C pulley down to the bottom of the frame rail -> 3" Heavy walled PVC flex tubing ( http://www.mcmaster.com ) wraps under the frame rail and up into the front fender well extending into the headlight bezel between the splash sheild and the back of the headlight. -> Fram (about 6"dia x 9"long) cylindrical shaped cheap air filter from off the shelf auto parts store, mounted up in the bezel with custom brackets.

It took me hours and hours and hours of scratching my head to figure that all out and more hours to actually make it work. End result is cold, dry, clean air, with a little bit of intake restriction from the tight cobra head 90 elbow at the AFM inlet. I dont think it hampers performance much as it's all 3" diameter.

Cobra Head Elbow

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AFSI&Product_Code=90CB30&Category_Code=CE2

This is a picture from before I did the IC and the cobra elbow. The aluminum duct got sucked in by the T3 :shock:

http://hvmp.com/dc/LOW_DOLLAR_INTAKE.jpg

Guest bastaad525

LOL and is that why you run a T04 now? :shock::lol:

Eh... since I didn't exactly start with a pristine Z I figured why not just cut that hole... I too spent a lot of time head-scratchin trying to figure out another way... just a PITA any other way you want to do it.

Cyg how did you cut the stock boot? I have wanted to shorten mine a bit as well... not sure how to deal with the metal coil inside though.

Hacksaw for the boot and wire cutters for the wire. The TO4B has a larger inlet so I cut the boot back to where the diameter matched the turbo inlet. Now both ends of the boot have been cut off. The prototype aluminum duct never made it into the T3, it stopped in the AFM. The T3 died a natural death of 10psi at 110K miles. :lol:

Here is my version of the cold air intake allowing for use of AFM, A/C, and 2.5" I/C plumbing. I had to remove the belly pan for this.

The blue bracket holding the air filter collar is a propane tank bracket from a barbecue bent, drilled, and bolted to a tow hook bolt. :lol:

CIA1.jpg

CIA2.jpg

I know it looks like the tire would rub the hose but it's not even close. 225/50-16 on 16x7 Panasports.