HybridZ

Tearing the engine down Monday

I want to get some suggestions from knowledgeable people before I dive in, but my engine is making a clacking noise that increases in proportion with the speed of the engine. I have a few ideas of what this might be, but none of them sure since I did not build this engine. Also you should know that before this happened my car would just suddenly drop to 0 oil pressure and make a whirring noise until I revved it a little, then the oil pressure would shoot back up to normal.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Seized lifter (95% sure they are hydraulic)

Loose bolt on rod cap (thanks for the suggestion, Oliver)

Bad rear main bearing (would explain the oil pressure issue as well)

Someone more experienced than myself please chime in. I'm replacing the oil pump with a nice high-volume pump I have, and I'm dropping in a 280/288 cam with matching hydraulic lifters (2500ish miles on it) and brand new pushrods. This takes care of my problem if it's a seized lifter, and I'll have the oil pan off to check the rods, but while I'm that deep into the engine, what else should I be checking?

Sorry for such a long post, but Monday is my first day off in a long time since it's my BD, and I wanna wake up at the ass crack of dawn to get into this, but I'd prefer to have some idea what I'm looking for. :-)

Stuck lifters won't cause loss of oil pressure like that. It is most likely a rod, if it were a main then the rod is the last to oil so it's gone as well, probably both. Going to need to turn the crank, and resize the rods, better to do it right than wish you did later when it doesn't work. Since your there and installing new cam, better have new guides and valve job done. Better check for proper spring pressure and retainer to guide clearance with the new valve seals in place. If cylinder walls have excessive taper then bore it and install new pistons. Well, since you've done the whole engine by now, might as well stroke it, puff it, spray it and whatever else your pocketbook will allow.

Sorry, I should have specified. The engine that is in there right now is temporary. I have a perfectly good block sitting in my storage shed that I'm building up, but I just want to fix what I have for right now. You would have to hear the noise. I can't imagine it being anything severely wrong with the engine.