HybridZ

detonation is bad

onephatz

Guest bastaad525

seriously... would that even have any effect on the way the motor runs?

I notice a trend of the #5 being the one that likes to hole/melt/break/crack....

stupid question I'm sure, but what is the purpose of those little 'side skirts' on the piston anyways?

I don't think that was from detonation. Can you take a pic of the top of the piston? That looks like a defect in the piston, or perhaps an over-rev... Detonation usually doesn't damage the bottom of the piston w/o breaking the top. I've done something similar when I snapped a rod in my Civic turning 9500rpm, the rod just couldn't handle it, and snapped. :(

Nothing better then a built motor, running 26psi and 9500rpm. :) Unfortunatly, I didnt upgrade the rods like I should have, and boom. There goes 4000 dollars.

I had a set of 6 pistons that all looked just like that-

It happened running 17-18 psi boost on a well-used turbo short block, no detonation.

My theory is that worn out rings/ bores and increased cylinder pressure cause enough cylinder rocking to break the little tabs off.

Susequently I used another stock bottom end rebuilt to specs with the same turbo setup/same boost and had no problems at all.