HybridZ

One last NOS blast - I hurt my "baby"

BQR280Z

I took the Z into town on Thursday, it was a beautiful day in Wisconsin. On the way home I thought I should give the NOS one last run before the winter put away. I armed the system, checked all my interlocks, purged the NOS and took it to 4000 in 3rd, hit the button and the pull was REALLY solid. The exhaust note changed noticably, shifted at 7000 and hit the button again in 4th, pulled to 6500, 5th and on the button and OHOH. My "Baby" bobbled a bit, I got off the NOS and guess what I have a miss. I did a compression test and I hurt holes #2,3 - #2 is at 120, and #3 is at 50. Oh well I have a new cam for it, now I have some motivation to build a new very good head for it. I will post some pix of the damage when I get it apart.

One thing I think must be changed is my fuel delivery, low pressure drop out switch. Currently it is mounted in a triple spigot distribution block, about 22" from the fuel solenoid. The indicator light for the switch was reading adequate pressure but I think the line was empty, so I ran in a NOS only (VERY lean condition) for a few seconds. I think the pressrue switch will be remounted directly to the fuel solenoid.

Also if the system has not been used for a while, a button ON run with the NOS valve off would guarantee fuel at the fogging block.

Z cars are still awesome, and I am kind of happy to have something to think about reworking.

Bill

Sounded kinda spooky to me, 'cause 6500 in 4th is great on the track, but... :shock:

I've found only one place here at home that I'm comfortable with triple digit speeds on the public roads, and thats a quick blast down our 3/4 mile long, 6 lane river bridge when theres NO traffic. A tall divider in the middle, and a good barrier on the outside is the only reason.l

Guest 240zJake
Sounded kinda spooky to me' date=' 'cause 6500 in 4th is great on the track, but... :shock:

I've found only one place here at home that I'm comfortable with triple digit speeds on the public roads, and thats a quick blast down our 3/4 mile long, 6 lane river bridge when theres NO traffic. A tall divider in the middle, and a good barrier on the outside is the only reason.l[/quote']

Hmm...that river bridge is pretty nice but coming down I40 from memphis there is a freshly paved section thats flat and straight as can be, its tempting :twisted:

Cops, however, make the bridge the only place i try either...

EDIT: not that ive ever attempted triple digit speeds on publice roadways :roll:

Terry,

I live in the country, two lane road. Where I opened it up is a 1.5 mile straight with two farm houses on it, both with long driveways, otherwise just wide open farm land.

Does anyone know what happened to our photo albums???? I lost all my photo links and my album is gone.

Bill

I did a compression test and I hurt holes #2,3 - #2 is at 120, and #3 is at 50. Oh well I have a new cam for it, now I have some motivation to build a new very good head for it. I will post some pix of the damage when I get it apart.

I hate to say it, but I'd be surprised if the problem was in the head. If possible, try a leakdown test before you take it apart...