HybridZ

Different width - Q45 vs R230

jbc3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this as well.

I also have the z32tt r230, and I've been noticing a few differences from the Q45 diffs that I've been seeing pics of. First off, the z32 diff cover has a slight bulge between the mounting studs. As a result the diff cover needed a washer on each mounting stud to shim it far enough away from the mustache bar that it would not interfere. I haven't seen anybody mentioning this so far.

Also, I'm noticing that my mounting ears seem to be coming out farther to the right (passenger side) than the one in Tim240z's pics (actually, the 5/16" quoted above sounds pretty close). I've checked - it appears to be mounted square to the chassis and centered on the halfshaft flanges. Has anybody checked - are the mounting ears spaced the same on the two cases? I had assumed that they were, but now I'm starting to wonder...

I don't have a mustache bar because of the complete IRS swap, but I had to do the same thing to mount mine. If you don't add the washers the diff will always be rubbing steel on aluminum . . . not good!

EDIT: Oh, and the ears will center the front of the diff where the R200 sat, but they are also farther apart. What I did was make a new plate for the rear (for mustache bar guys this would be like redrilling new holes centered off or the old ones) That put the diff where I needed it. I cut the old front mounts off and bolted them to the front of the R230 with it in place, then rewelded them and PRESTO! The diff is centered and straight.

here's a site that has helped me distinguish between the r200 and the r230.

this is the opening page:

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

here's the r200 exploded diagram:

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list=pd&dir=&config=&refresh=&direction=forward&scale=0&cycle=off&slide=14&design=default&total=43

hope this helps.

frank

here's a site that has helped me distinguish between the r200 and the r230.

this is the opening page:

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

here's the r200 exploded diagram:

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list=pd&dir=&config=&refresh=&direction=forward&scale=0&cycle=off&slide=14&design=default&total=43

hope this helps.

frank

Thanks, those are good links, but I don't think there's any question as to which diff we have (at least not in my case). The question is whether the q45 r230s have the same case dimensions as the 300zxtt r230s.

are you sure the q45 diff is an R230? there has been a lot of debate over the last couple of years both in this forum and over at NICO. i thought the consensus was that the 91' -96' q45, j30 etc. and 91'-96' Z32NA were r200 and that the Z32TT and 97' and later q45 were r230.

a couple of guys over a NICO have factory service manuals and swear that the q45 diff is an r200. i have a diff i personally removed from a "91 q45 and it looks just like the one in the exploded diagram i posted above. the bolt pattern and diameter of the pinion and output flanges are different and the covers have minor differences but otherwise look the same.

i'm so confused!?

are you sure the q45 diff is an R230? there has been a lot of debate over the last couple of years both in this forum and over at NICO. i thought the consensus was that the 91' -96' q45' date=' j30 etc. and 91'-96' Z32NA were r200 and that the Z32TT and 97' and later q45 were r230.

a couple of guys over a NICO have factory service manuals and swear that the q45 diff is an r200. i have a diff i personally removed from a "91 q45 and it looks just like the one in the exploded diagram i posted above. the bolt pattern and diameter of the pinion and output flanges are different and the covers have minor differences but otherwise look the same.

i'm so confused!?[/quote']

I guess I thought that tim240z's diff was an r230, but things might make more sense if it wasn't...

I AM certain that mine is an r230 - the Kaaz LSD wouldn't have fit otherwise... :mrgreen:

Bump.

are you sure the q45 diff is an R230? there has been a lot of debate over the last couple of years both in this forum and over at NICO. i thought the consensus was that the 91' -96' q45' date=' j30 etc. and 91'-96' Z32NA were r200 and that the Z32TT and 97' and later q45 were r230.

i'm so confused!?[/quote']

Is anybody out there sure that they have an r230 from a Q45? I'm curious what the spacing is for the moustache bar studs on the diff covers on these.

I just talked to someone who swore that they had a q45 r230 and the mounting studs were 4.75" apart. Mine (and at least a couple others that I know of) are spaced at 5.5". So what gives? Are the q45 r230s that much different, or was this guy looking at an r200?

This much variability does not bode well for anybody being able to make a kit for this swap...

According to the 03 Q45 FSM, the current model car has an open R200 2 pinion diff with a 3.133 ratio. Now, I don't know if that goes for all models with the VK45DE engine, but that is what the manual says.

According to Nissan FAST - No Q45 uses a R230 diff. Not the early G50 series to 97, not the FGY33 series to 2001, nor does the current car, F50 series.

I guess that Nissan was OK with installing an R200V behind the 278 hp V8 in an almost 4000lb car, so should we be worried about how it will stand up in a 2800lb car?

Now the only disclaimer I will make here is that my copy of FAST doesn't include the N American data CD's, so it is possible that Nissan one-offed the R230 install for the NA market. I doubt it, but if anyone knows where to find a copy of the NA market FAST cd's, then I will be sure.

Doug

for what it's worth. both the 91' Q45 and the 93' J30 diffs i have measure the same width and length,also same width between rear mnt studs (4.75") and frnt mnts (6 1/8") approx. the Q45 has a nice finned cover and the J30 cover is plain. on both these diffs when the the pinnion is turned both output shafts rotate in the same direction. the ratio in the Q45 is 3.538.

I've now got the service manuals for all 3 series of Q45 and none of them ever were equiped with an R230.

G50 - Up to 96 - R200V LSD 3.538 ratio

FY33 - Second series with 4.1L - R200V LSD 3.692 ratio

F50 - Current Model - R200 2 pinion open 3.133 ratio

This is according to the FSM for the Q45.

I hope that this helps someone out.

Doug