HybridZ

What to look for when buying another Z motor? (83' Turbo)

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright i've located a 83' turbo long block for the 73' i'm working on, the owner claims it has 10k or less miles since a rebuild, it has a p90a gead, no turbo, just the manifold, hasn't been used in years.

He's asking $450 for it, is this a fair price? Cause i have no way to tell if the rebuild is true or not, the motors grimey as hell from sitting around all that time, the fan the intake manifold has been destroyed, the oil filter looks like it's been through a war, etc...

What are some things i can do to check this motor out? it isn't in a car, so i could attempt to do a compression test manually, but that would be a real PITA. Other then that i'm fresh outta ideas... also, is that $450 asking price reasnoble?

Seems to me that's a pretty high price for a motor you can't really verify.

Is this a local purchase?

At a minimum I'd pull the head, measure and inspect the cylinder bores, drop the oil pan and check out the main and rod bearings and also see if you can remove the valves to look at the seats and the angles of the grind. If it's truly rebuilt with less than 10K it should be obvious after looking at these items.

If the inspection verifies a recent rebuild it might be a good deal but without the turbo you've got yourself a low compression N/A motor.

If it were me I'd offer him $250.00 and if he says no then let him sit for a while and think about it. But only after verifying it's been rebuilt. If the rebuild status is unknown I'd pass on it. But that's just me, to many unknowns and parts to track down that are expensive to make it worth much.

Do you know how long he's been trying to sell it and if anyone else has looked?

Wheelman

Guest 73Turbo240z

I know he picked up a datsun and intended to put this in it in place of the carb motor in there, planned on running a GT35 turbo, some kinda standalone ems, etc... basically not a simple street setup, but not full out race either...

To my knowledge he cannot verify the rebuild stuff, only what he knows from the previous owner who he bought it off of. I'm going to try and see if i can strike a half and half deal on the motor to where i'll pay half, take it home, tear it down (currently resides in his garage and not on a stand so i can't get to in depth), and once i verify this things been reworked to the extent he says, i pay the other half, we'll see...

I thought it seemed a little hight for an 83' motor, the only thing that would up the value in my mind is if it's really rebuilt, but i'd have to verify that 1st.

I have some photos i shot of it that i'll get uploaded tonight sometime.

I have to agree, the 102K heads on my LT1 were way way cleaner than that. In fact that looks like my sons old 305 did when we pulled it apart after ~250K and many years on a delayed maintenance program. Much burned and jellied oil in that engine.

I'd pass on it unless you can get it for next to nothing.

BTW: What is that squirrel cage fan for? Was that the turbo? :lol::lol:

Wheelman

Seems like alot of $$$ for a pretty grimey engine.

I do not want to hijack your post but I will sell you a fully complete 1983 5speed Turbo 280ZX turbo car for $400!! the car has to be towed but I am only one state North of you (Colorado).

The car has absolutely everything on it from bumper to bumper. Has an electrical gremlin which is not causing it to start. But ran perfectly up to about one month ago and made great boost and power. Engine, drivetrain, rear end, etc etc are all perfect. Car is primered black and has 208,000 and is a Coupe with T-Tops.

If I get no interest, I will eBay it this weekend. Let me know if you are interested (slownrusty@yahoo.com)

Yasin

Guest 73Turbo240z
Seems like alot of $$$ for a pretty grimey engine.

I do not want to hijack your post but I will sell you a fully complete 1983 5speed Turbo 280ZX turbo car for $400!! the car has to be towed but I am only one state North of you (Colorado).

The car has absolutely everything on it from bumper to bumper. Has an electrical gremlin which is not causing it to start. But ran perfectly up to about one month ago and made great boost and power. Engine' date=' drivetrain, rear end, etc etc are all perfect. Car is primered black and has 208,000 and is a Coupe with T-Tops.

If I get no interest, I will eBay it this weekend. Let me know if you are interested (slownrusty@yahoo.com)

Yasin[/quote']

I appriciate your offer, but i have no means by which to tow a car that distance.