HybridZ

To dip or not to dip

kurtwwalters

I am purchasing a lightly rusted (surface only) 72 240Z unibody. The plan is widebody fiberglass, suspension mods and 450 hp. Redi-strip will dip the unibody for $500-$600. The price doesn't concern me, but I have heard stories of leftover chemicals eating thru paint. Redi-strip will phosporus coat the body - has anyone had experiences with this (good/bad)? thanks in advance

Bad idea - my brother once had a car dipped and it is almost impossible to remove 100% of the chemicals. To that end my brother (panelbeater/car restorer) now has a business here in NZ stripping cars of rust/paint etc using a blasting system. Question is how to they neutralize the chemical? The car my brother had done (must have been 15years ago now - and long gone since) was neutralized with water.....hmm clean steel + water and a little chemical left = rust = what was the point in doing the strip/dip?

That is my 2c worth.

I talked to Redi-Strip too when I was contemplating an acid dip. The one thing that turned me off was that unlike some other out of state strippers, Redi-Strip doesn't dip the entire body into neutralizer. They spray it on with what amounts to a pump-up bug sprayer. I don't see how that could possible get into every corner. Places like the tube frame along the top of the engine compartment and the spaces beneath the rear windows would never get neutralized. I've heard of a nutshell stripper in Mesa that is supposedly price comparable to the acid dip, and there's absolutely no fear of problems later. Myself, i used the old fashioned elbow grease method on the outer body, and sandblasted the underside, door jambs, etc. You might want to do a google search on acid dipping and look at some of the 'after' pictures. If they are representative of the results, you won't be getting back a shiny clean unibody. Don't mean to sound so negative, but after hours of searching and reading, a unibody seems like a poor dipping candidate...