HybridZ

Finally started my engine

74.5 347Z

Just wanted to let my fellow Blue Oval guys know that after 2 years 7 months, 16K plus in expended funds, 8 bags of sand, replacement body panels, paint, etc,etc, I finally started my engine.

It is a '86 GT "block", .030 over. PAW 347 stroker kit with Probe forged pistons. GT-40 intake, 65mm TB, 24lb injectors, and F303 cam (226 duration/ .512 lift). Centerforce pressure plate/clutch and WC T-5. Dynamax headers with 2-1/2" pipes into a Flowmaster 3" Y-pipe at the rear crossmember, don't have the 3" Flowmaster muffler mounted yet.

I used a wiring harness from Ryan McCormick ( http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=21 ) for the fuel injection, and I have to say that the quality is second to none. All connectors, the fuse block, and relays are high quality and it comes wrapped very nicely for a low price of $485. If you have the money and want a quality harness, look this guy up at http://fordfuelinjection.com/. He is a guru whith the EEC-IV.

The sad part is I still have the stock MAF, a Pro-M 75mm is on the way. The heads are stock (FOR NOW), I hoping Santa will bring me a set for X'mas, maybe Roush 180's.

What I can tell you is that the F303 cam is a monster! Espically with open 3" exhaust pipe turned down at rearend. The lope smoothes out about 1500 and then raps up to 4500 instantly. The computer still hasn't had any tuning and I have yet to see the check engine light after start-up.

Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know. I will try to get some videos posted soon. I still have brake problems that are keeping me from driving it.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest romeyrome
Just wanted to let my fellow Blue Oval guys know that after 2 years 7 months' date=' 16K plus in expended funds, 8 bags of sand, replacement body panels, paint, etc,etc, I finally started my engine.

It is a '86 GT "block", .030 over. PAW 347 stroker kit with Probe forged pistons. GT-40 intake, 65mm TB, 24lb injectors, and F303 cam (226 duration/ .512 lift). Centerforce pressure plate/clutch and WC T-5. Dynamax headers with 2-1/2" pipes into a Flowmaster 3" Y-pipe at the rear crossmember, don't have the 3" Flowmaster muffler mounted yet.

I used a wiring harness from Ryan McCormick ( http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=21 ) for the fuel injection, and I have to say that the quality is second to none. All connectors, the fuse block, and relays are high quality and it comes wrapped very nicely for a low price of $485. If you have the money and want a quality harness, look this guy up at http://fordfuelinjection.com/. He is a guru whith the EEC-IV.

The sad part is I still have the stock MAF, a Pro-M 75mm is on the way. The heads are stock (FOR NOW), I hoping Santa will bring me a set for X'mas, maybe Roush 180's.

What I can tell you is that the F303 cam is a monster! Espically with open 3" exhaust pipe turned down at rearend. The lope smoothes out about 1500 and then raps up to 4500 instantly. The computer still hasn't had any tuning and I have yet to see the check engine light after start-up.

Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know. I will try to get some videos posted soon. I still have brake problems that are keeping me from driving it.

Mark

not a good choice in year model, engine block, the 1987 and eairlyer block's are'nt as strong as the 1989-thru-94 block's,if i where u i would"nt try to get to much power out of the weaker 86 block, the'll start cracking around the bearing cap hole's that are drilled/tapped into the block where the bearing's mount to. when under alot of rpm's

OK>>>>>Where are you getting your info. from?

The pre roller cam blocks are heavier than the 5.0l blocks (85-99*...5.0l explorer).With the added weight being in the main caps.Prior the the introduction of main cap guirdles for the small block ford,the solution for having better block strenth without shelling out the major bucks for a A4 block was to get a mexican cast 302 block, or find a post 66 289 block for the thicker main strentgh..Granted a non race preped 289,302,5.0l will suffere from crank harmonics and start to crack @7000rpms for a extended time(read road race,or a season of drag racing) Check this link for weights..http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I finally got a chance to update my photo album, check it out if you like.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8284&password

If anyone that is in the process of installing a 5.0, I do have pictures of the steering column and hyd slave cyl that may become handy. Just send me an e-mail at markam@myway.com and I can send some pics.

As for the block: After I put a set of after market heads on (est 325-375 hp), and replace the half shafts and welded diff that should brake. Then put a 150 shot or about 12 psi of super charger (est 375-450 hp), and replace the W/C T-5 which should be "all mushy inside" with a T-56. Then I will start shopping for that "sportsman" block. Meanwhile, to be on the safe side, I will put a girdle on it for a little added protection.

I dropped the car off in New Orleans on Jan 12 for it to be shipped to Yokohama, Japan. I have military orders to Atsugi, Japan.

BTW, I do have several videos of the car, one getting whooped by a '00 Formula Firebird (best et is 12.001 @ 119 mph) who is a buddy of mine. If anyone knows where I can post them for free, please let me know.

Mark