HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update # 35?

Well, I think it's about #35 since it appears all that I've posted after update 21 has disappeared. Can't find them with a search.

The 280Z28 has 13,000 miles on the Johns Cars conversion to date. It has been driven in the hottest Texas weather and in frog choking rain. The only continual problem I've had has been with the windshield leaking. The car has been in the shop at least 4 times since the conversion and probably 3 times before with this repetitive problem. Yes - it's gotten new seals, both Nissan and aftermarket. Yet, it's been checked out for rust & damaged mounting areas. The windshield is the one that came with the car new. The leak has continually been between the windshield and the seal. As of today, and end of trip #7, it is not leaking. We'll see in another few months.

Other minor problems were the failures of the two radiator fan relays, one at a time about a month apart. The good news was that the car doesn't overheat if only one fan is running and I now carry a spare relay. No repeat of the failures in the past 4-5 months so I think it was a fluke.

Drive train is solid. Engine and transmission working fine. R200 LSD doing good and half-shaft u-joints showing no signs of failure.

Brake upgrade (Willwood Front & 240sx/300zx in back) seems to be doing fine. Car stops straight (quickly) with no shudder.

The strut tower braces and 4-pt. roll bar seem to have provided sufficient structural rigidity as I've seen no indications of failure.

Once I'm confident the car isn't going to be leaking I'm going to start the interior renovation and sound system upgrade. They've both been on hold during sauna time.

13000 miles and only minor problems. Sounds great. Those windshield seals car be a real problem if the are not perfectly lined up. I had replace one in my 510 and it kept leaking at the bottom on the drivers side. My windshield guy was at a loss until we took a hose and blasted the area and saw exactly where it was coming from. Then we pulled the glass one more time and carefully inspected the seal. It seems that when the seal was produced there was a bit of extra rubber right in the corner that wouldn't let the glass sit all the way down into the seal. We trimmed it away with an exacto knife and it never leaked again.

I hope my swap will be as problem free as yours.