HybridZ

drift with a v8?

Yop

Well topic lays out the ground work for my questions and concerns. First off, has anyone done this? I've searched around on a few boards, looking at power charts and different swaps, and a nice ls1 (out of a c5 vette) is an obvious choice (with a few boltons 350 rwhp). But i was wondering if you still have handling aspects similar to a normal carb'd datsun 240z? i know the Ls1 is a very light aluminum block and lighter then very many engines out there, but im looking at making a weekend drift car that is still reliable enough to drive on the road.

For the price an ls1 is just logical for the power it brings, im just worried about how it holds up to being revved pretty maliciously and if it puts an odd balance on the weight distribution of the 240z, thank you for all and any replies to this post.

also, nice site you guys have here

Yes, there are at the very least stories of guys drifting their V8Zs in competition. The car is naturally suited to wheelspin and good handling. The V8Z is docile and controlable, so there is nothing to really worry about.

There must be some misconception out there that a Chevy V8 is somehow fragile (I'm getting this idea from the question you asked--innocent enough, but not founded). These motors can be flogged all day long and a Vette or Camaro V8 engine is sound enough to take most anything and drifting is just another sport to rev the motor. Every day I visit the drag strip, there is always someone on the strip with a Vette or Camaro, so I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine. And, with the motor being a Chevy, it'll be fairly straight forward to fix in case something goes wrong.

Davy

thanks for the info, yeah, i know a few guys with c5s and one of them has a linkinfelter (sp?) kit woo, fast cars, thank you for the information , i guess i'll keep everyone post on the progress of my conversion.

I think if the cars suspension was setup right, you could do some phenomenal drifting with a v8z. Great NA power and tons of torque, if you can keep it from looping youll do just fine. You are up against some stiff competition though, namely ME :twisted:

I think if the cars suspension was setup right, you could do some phenomenal drifting with a v8z. Great NA power and tons of torque, if you can keep it from looping youll do just fine. You are up against some stiff competition though, namely ME :twisted:

lol, sounds like a challege :lol: well ill keep everyone posted on this, just gotta find a LS1 T56 combo for cheap again , time for ebay