HybridZ

Need help shopping..

I am starting to accumulate parts for an engine rebuild. Basically a stock GM 350 with headers, Weiand intake #7546 and a Edelbrock 600CFM carb. I will be installing MSD distributor, MSD 6al, roller rockers and cam. Right now I am trying to understand intake terminology. I can "see" the difference between dual and single plane intakes but don't know which would be better. I currently have the existing intake, Weiand 7546, or also have a Weiand 8004, or a Edelbrock 2975. Which should I use, or should I sell them all and buy something else? The car is mainly just a strip car right now but would like to be able to pass emissions so i can drive it around town. Thanks in advance for any advice.

For streetability with your smaller carb you should have the dual plane manifold. This will allow your engine to make its power at lower rpms rather than having to rev it high for performance. I believe the 2975 is a Victor jr. manifold, which you don't want for the street. Also, keep your cam duration and compression reasonable so you can pass smog. I don't know if Arizona requires smog checks for early Z's, but maybe your car is exempt!!!

Hanns

I am not sure how a dual plane vs. single plane affects smog one way or the other. But I will say the cam will have more to do with your emissions levels than the intake. The thing that will bite you with intakes is passing the visual inspection. Might need EGR hookups and the heat riser plenums which some intakes don't have.

As for performance vs. streetability, dual planes do make more torque down low, but a Z is such a light car that you don't need as much low end torque. A good single plane will make more overall HP and still be streetable. You want to match the intake to your cam, though. The better high RPM flow of a single plane will quickly be lost if the cam is too conservative.