HybridZ

rebuilding a used header, worth it?

olie05

Hey guys,

I came upon a used header for a pretty decent price, I was wondering if it is worth it to buy one and then weld up a few little holes here and there, or should I just start with a new header. I notice alot of people have to mess with their new headers for fitment anyways, so how would "rebuilding" a used header work in the long run? Thanks,

-Oliver

I'd do it myself.. depending on the cost of course.. but say a new one will run you $300 or so.. and you can get this one for.. $50-$75 and weld a few holes.. spray it with a good coating of BBQ heat paint and voila. :) Not the best plan if you can't weld though... could get a bit pricy, at wich point it'd be about the sam $$$ value in the end to buy a new one. Just my $.02....

go for it. I've had mine 6-->1 flattened so much I was basicly running on 4 cylinders. Took it to my school's welding shop, heated it up with acy. torch and jammed a pipe in it (b.f.hammer helped alot) to straighten the tubes, then welded up the couple holes we accidentaly made.. :lol:

so go for it, just make sure you're welding on solid metal and not rust. I had to sand mine down pretty far it was so rusty... Should be easier if you dont need to straighten anything out, but just weld up some small stuff!

• 1 month later...