HybridZ

TPI and T5's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone out there. I just finished my V8 Swap into my 82 280zx. I have a 700R4 in it and hate it. Does anyone know where I can get a good T5 for my car? Also, I was reading some of the info on putting a tpi in instead of my carb. Does anyone have any great advice on that? Thanks for any and all info.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by RickB:

Why don't ya' like the 700R4? Unless of course you understandably just want to bang gears
smile.gif

I like the 700 in my car because first gear is real low and makes for great launches!

I one do like to bang gears. And second, it has just been nothing but problems. I can't ever get the lines to seal up good, the pan gives me problems, and the shifter I had to put in works well, but now to what I want. Plus, after driving my brothers 5speed, I want to have that thrill. Do you have a carb, or tpi in yours? I have also noticed that I don't have a lot of power in mine, and I really don't know why. Did you put a lock up torque converter in yours? I have one in mine, but I don't know how to wire it up. There are three wires coming out of it, a black, green, and a red. I presume ground the black, run the red to a switch, and the switch to the batt. The kit is from TCI. Any suggestions?

thanks.

I do have a functioning lockup convertor in mine. Sorry but I don't have any direct builder experience as I traded for the car basically complete with a fresh transmission receipt in the glovebox (880$). So far I have only improved and/or repaired what came with the car. For instance the long time starter grind the guy dealt with...the flywheel was on backwards rolleyes.gif

I have spotted the wires you talked about but...haven't had an occasion or need to trace them as of yet. No probs with leaks and the shifter works great after replacing the damaged cable and adjusting the detents. I have a Hurst Quarter Stick.

I think the previous owner gave up on the 700 and took it to a shop thus the fresh receipt. Though it would have been nice if they would have figured out that his flywheel was on backwards!

Maybe the guys in the High Tech forum can give you a direct answer on adapting your lockup. I understand that the kickdown adjustment is fairly critical for these trannys as well.

I have had a couple of FUN stick cars but...with a stick i doubt seriously that i would be able to launch as well and consistantly with small tires like I do now. Of course with slicks and the drivetrain to handle it a stickshift would rock!

I had a V8 Vega with a low geared Saginaw 4 speed that was violent. When i match raced with it I would dump the clutch at 4000 RPM and hit the nitrous button and floorboard it. Then the button and my foot on the floorboard stayed fully engaged during each shift. I just clutched it and banged the gears eek.gif Clutches didn't last long confused.gif

Anyway...whichever route you go i hope it works out for ya'!

------------------

RickB

280V8

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov

Don't defeat the lockup or you'll be done with the tranny sooner than you like. There are also kits (toy shop transmissions CA 909-620-5849)that make sure lock up engages when you shift to fourth,much better than a dash switch you might forget. 4th gear in lock up the most critical to lubrication. Also good to have switch deactivate on braking or it bucks at low speeds in fourth.

The improper TV cable setting and lock up mistakes give the 700 a bad reputation. They really are nice trannys.

JS

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that I got my Lock up torque converter hooked up, needless to say I like my 700r4 a lot better now. IT is pretty impressive. Now I just need to fine tune my carb, and It will be the true car I Have been aiming for forever. Now If anyone needs the wiring diagram, let me know, i have it, also, can someone please tell me what exactly the torque converter does, and when is the times you want to leave it on in 2-4 gears, or what not. I just still don't understand it. I just know it really made a difference in the performance of my 280z28 smile.gif thanks again, and keep on building.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

best analogy for lockup tc: normal (or unlocked lockup) tc is like a half engaged clutch, lots of slip, but it still pulls the car forward. when the lockup locks up, it just clamps the clutch down.

quote:

Originally posted by ellobo97:

I one do like to bang gears. And second, it has just been nothing but problems. I can't ever get the lines to seal up good, the pan gives me problems, and the shifter I had to put in works well, but now to what I want. Plus, after driving my brothers 5speed, I want to have that thrill. Do you have a carb, or tpi in yours? I have also noticed that I don't have a lot of power in mine, and I really don't know why. Did you put a lock up torque converter in yours? I have one in mine, but I don't know how to wire it up.

Obviously whatever you prefer is your option, I'm just looking of nuances so far.

1) shifting, with a nicely built 700R4 you can shift WAY faster than any stick and enjoy it tooo:-) I did this with my adapted OE shifter and my current Hammer shifter (got the hammer for roadracing security/one shift per HAMMER biggrin.gif )

2) Your lines must not be properly flared or routed (or rubbing somewhere), OR your tranny is overfilled, then it will try desperately to sweat this fluid out somewhere...(had that) Your pan may be bent, I've done my filter a couple times now and had no troubles with sealing the pan (just R&R the Y pipe frown.gif is a bit of work on mine)

3) not sure how your 'trans' can be down on power if it's functioning fine, is your TV cable setup right? If you're rolling v. slowly away from a light and it goes to 2nd and you STOMP it will it kick down? (this test ensures you have minimum TV pressure), what carb/EFI are you running? MANY carbs don't offer the correct swing arc geometry for the TV cable (edelbrock's for ie.). Drove mine for 4 yrs till someone finally figured that out....(3 rebuild in 2 mos at one point/ rolleyes.gif ) If your shifts are firm at all trans shouldn't be a significant source of power loss at all. If it's freewheeling at all it's hooped and it's time for servicing fast..(made it home from Seattle once like that....2 hr drive)

4) I don't disagree with John that a TV cable is not for major adjustment (in another post) but it does offer SOME adjustment. If you hav e minimum TV already and WOT shifts are at 5500, you can tighten it a notch and bump your WOT shift point IF the travel is left in the cable etc. And similarly slacken it a notch if WOT too high as long as minimum TV is always maintained as described above. I have the cable geometry swing arm specs somewhere...

Their's also kits for controlling your lockup related to rpm's with a thumbwheel that you can control. I have B&M's but haven't had time to resolve hooking up their speedo cable at a tight bend in my setup (no 90's in stock locally)

FWIW, I wish 1st wasn't so steep....only good for full gear smokies once I got tuned up. Give a great 'silent' holeshot though, usually I sidestep into 2nd right away for a nice LONG gear once someone indicates they mean business cool.gif

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all of the info. And where can you get 90 degree bends for speedo cables. That is one of the problems I'm having with my car as well. I cut a hole in my tranny hull, but would be nice if I could patch that and run a 90. Anyway, Thanks for all the informaion. everyone. The tranny is running great, and now it's off to have some fun with the engine smile.gif

sean