HybridZ

Anyone into SCCA GT 2 racing?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I've never really seen any real racing events before. We just got speed channel added to our cable lineup recently, but usually it's all ASSCAR, which just makes me dizzy :roll: *left... left... left*

Anyways, I just tuned into speed channel at like 1am here and saw them showing SCCA GT2 runoffs. A 19 car field running on a real road course, and a very interesting lineup of cars, including a Porsche 944, 1st gen RX7, 350, 300, and 240z's all racing on the same field (I'm sad to say the two 240's were in the two last-most positions). They were spending a lot of time talking about the Z's especially the 350z, and even showed off an issue of Sport Z magazine on camera!

Cool stuff.... too bad most people suck to much to make this the norm over stupid ASSCAR which is like 23 hours out of the day... retarded......

Guest bastaad525

I don't know much about this type of racing at all but I gotta say... it's just very cool to see old S30's mixing it up on a real track with much more modern cars like 350z's.

At the Regional level SCCA has a class called Improved Touring where you'll find lots of 240Z's in competition trim still winning on road courses all over the country. Check the listing for Speed Channel's SCCA Run-Off's coverage of the E Production class- 240Z's still running in there too.

I don't know much about this type of racing at all but I gotta say... it's just very cool to see old S30's mixing it up on a real track with much more modern cars like 350z's.

GT2 is a bit misleading in for the most part they're really siloutte cars with similar chassis (tube frame) and body made to look like the real deal. The white/blue 300ZX is actually L28 powered, and I beleive the red/yellow 350Z is VG30 powered, and that's the same chassis he was using bodied as a 300ZX a few years back. However there were two actual S30 cars running in the back, they got lapped by the leader about half way into it.

At the Regional level SCCA has a class called Improved Touring where you'll find lots of 240Z's in competition trim still winning on road courses all over the country. Check the listing for Speed Channel's SCCA Run-Off's coverage of the E Production class- 240Z's still running in there too.

Now Eproduction is a little more of the real deal. The rules require an actual production shell. Also, eprod z is basically a hopped up IT car with more stuctural supports and 12:1 compression. Too bad IT cars aren't at the runoffs as well. I never understood that philosophy.

Where in the world of SCCA would belong a car with an engine swapped from a different manufacturer, and chassis reinforcements that penetrate the firewall?

I looked into this about 5 years ago, and was told... “nowhereâ€. Ain’t no class that would accommodate such a car, except maybe informal club racing. Is this [still] correct?

Where in the world of SCCA would belong a car with an engine swapped from a different manufacturer' date=' and chassis reinforcements that penetrate the firewall?

I looked into this about 5 years ago, and was told... “nowhereâ€. Ain’t no class that would accommodate such a car, except maybe informal club racing. Is this [still'] correct?

The only class would SPO (Super Production over 2.5 L). It is regional and the GCR describes it as "cars which exceed the preparation limitations of the applicable Production or GT Specifications but which meet the general regulations of Section 17 of the GCR for GT category cars." In other words "Run What You Brung"

In Production you can have bars penetrating the firewall, but of course it has to keep the original engine.

I was just asking a local club official this question last night. I hope to have my car ready to Auto-X this coming summer. He said I will be in either the SM2 (Street Modified 2) or E-Prepared class. He made a statement in one of the emails we traded that I can add whatever chassis reinforcements or roll bars/cages I want I just can't remove interior parts in an effort to reduce weight. It also seems that I'm free to do any suspension mods and run whatever tires I want as well although I have to think that after certain mods I'll definitely be placed in the E-Prepared class.

This is local club racing though and SOLO2 (Auto-X) rather than wheel to wheel so these statements probably don't apply to GT2.

BTW: Not to hijack the thread but has anybody used MSA's Street Camber Kit? I did a search and found 1 reference to it but not much about how it performed.

Wheelman