HybridZ

New Door Locks

Chewievette

10 to 1, the ignition lock has been changed out. If that's the case, the key code to the doors and hatch will be located on the hatch lock itself.

Remove the rear interior panel, in front of the tail lights, find the 2 10mm bolts that hold the licence plate light on. Remove them. The license plate light assembly can now be removed, exposing the sides of the hatch lock. Look on the hatch lock for the key code, stamped into the side of the lock, it should be MXXXX where XXXX = 5000-6000.

Have a key made to that number at your local locksmith shop. If that key fits and works in the doors, VIOLA!...if not, the key code should be stamped into the passenger door lock. It's alot more of a pain in the arse to remove the door locks, but it can be done.

If the doors have been changed though, and the new hatch key doesn't work them, you're still gonna have to remove the locks. Take them to your local locksmith and I'm sure he can make a key for them by disassembling them and reading the wafers.

DO NOT let a locksmith impression your locks with a key blank and a file. These 30 year old locks are way too fragile to make keys that way.

Just some friendly advice from your local automotive locksmith.

P.S. Up until 1982 or so, Nissan, then Datsun dealers were supposed to put the key code to the vehicle on a tag located inside the glove box, usually on the door. If you're lucky enough to find it there, that'll save you a bunch of wrenching.

P.S. Up until 1982 or so, Nissan, then Datsun dealers were supposed to put the key code to the vehicle on a tag located inside the glove box, usually on the door. If you're lucky enough to find it there, that'll save you a bunch of wrenching.

Well I know I'm not going to find it on the glove box ...it doesn't have one anymore. and all the insulation and covering has been removed from the hatch lock so it should be really easy to read those numbers. Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to find a locksmith..

I have different locks of either side of the car, and the hatch is different, too... or the pasenger door is just broken, I don't know.

My main key works in the ignition and the driver's door. The other key I got works in the hatch. No key works in the passenger door. :lol:

covering has been removed from the hatch lock so it should be really easy to read those numbers.

Perhaps you mis-read, or I didn't clarify enough. The number will be on the OUTSIDE of the car. The license plate lamp has to be removed so you can see it. The code will be stamped into the OUTSIDE cylindrical casing of the lock, OUTSIDE the car...normally covered by the license plate light.

Hope that clears that up...